Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc creates thumbnails that are 2Gb in size. How to stop that
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have placed the thumbnails on my server and the clients get them from there.
But as I moved some stuff, XBMC have started to rescrape thumbnails.
That is OK, but there are a lot of the *.tbn files that are over 2Gb in size.
Both Actor portraits and episode pictures.

That seems wrong. Is there some way I can stop that or is this a "feature" in the nightly build I use (from november 19)?

I have now stopped download of actor portraits and deleted all large files.
But I would like to have it solved in a better way.
Individual files are over 2GB?
There's been sporadic reports of this.
OK, then it seems appropriate to post a mor complete bug report in hope that this will be found the.

My setup with win7 client and a aTV2 client getting info from mySql have been working for a good while now.
* I have stored the thumbs on the win7 machine and added this info in advancedsettings.xml.
* Yesterday I took a backup of the xbmc_vido57 db and switched the TV paths from smb: to their nfs: variants. Nothing else changed.
* Then I started XBMC and let it update the library. After a couple of hours I ran out of disc space on the thumbnail disc...

So I switched back to smb:, dropped the db and imported the backup.
I also switched the thumb folder from the win7 machine to the server where I had a disc with a lot more space (and it makes sense to have all data serverside anyway).

Then I started xbmc again. But the result are the same many (but not all) thumbs 2Gb size.
I suspect that something goes wrong in an earlier state and that xbmc stops trying when the size are 2GB...

As I got the answer above, I started xbmc, set it to debug and waited for a 2Gb thumb. The winner is 573f2eca.tbn.

And the debug log are saved here:
http://pastebin.com/Ci0SH7f0

My main concern right now is if I can update to a newer nigthly and expect the install to fix the error or if I should delete my db and restart with the new install?
I have been trying to get this fixed and after I read this thread I got some more things to go on.

I had path substitution for my thumbs as nfs. So I changed that to smb.
But still there are a lot of thumbs larger than 2GB.

I did a complete uninstall and installed the latest nightly (2011-12-10).
And I removed the path substitution altogether.
Still got 2Gb tbns.

OK, so I did a complete reinstall and used smb paths for the video libraries again.
Now all my thumbs are nice and small!

So it seems to be something with nfs, here.

It would be nice to be able to use nfs as I heard it should allow for faster file handling and it takes a while loading and stopping video on the aTV2...
Tore Wrote:I have been trying to get this fixed and after I read this thread I got some more things to go on.

I had path substitution for my thumbs as nfs. So I changed that to smb.
But still there are a lot of thumbs larger than 2GB.

I did a complete uninstall and installed the latest nightly (2011-12-10).
And I removed the path substitution altogether.
Still got 2Gb tbns.

OK, so I did a complete reinstall and used smb paths for the video libraries again.
Now all my thumbs are nice and small!

So it seems to be something with nfs, here.

It would be nice to be able to use nfs as I heard it should allow for faster file handling and it takes a while loading and stopping video on the aTV2...

The argumentation lacks one important step here imho. First you have had 2gb thumbnails with nfs,smb and even local. Then you've redone everything and only tried SMB and it works. So how about redoing everthing and try if NFS gives still big thumbs in that situation?
Memphiz Wrote:The argumentation lacks one important step here imho. First you have had 2gb thumbnails with nfs,smb and even local. Then you've redone everything and only tried SMB and it works. So how about redoing everthing and try if NFS gives still big thumbs in that situation?

Well, I probably were a bit unclear there. I did uninstall everything and installed the latest nightly with local thumb and nfs share and got 2gb files too.

That was this part: "I did a complete uninstall and installed the latest nightly (2011-12-10). And I removed the path substitution altogether. Still got 2Gb tbns."
As everything is better if it is tried twice, I did a setup without a advancedsettings.xml at all.
Just used the nfs shares, and started to scan the directories.
Then I searched the Thumbnail folder for files larger than 500 kb, and soon one started to grow. I stopped xbmc and uploaded the debug log to pastebin once more. Here it is

I hope it helps for pinpointing what is happening.
I am still not sure if there are a bug or if I have made some error...
Tore Wrote:As everything is better if it is tried twice, I did a setup without a advancedsettings.xml at all.
Just used the nfs shares, and started to scan the directories.
Then I searched the Thumbnail folder for files larger than 500 kb, and soon one started to grow. I stopped xbmc and uploaded the debug log to pastebin once more. Here it is

I hope it helps for pinpointing what is happening.
I am still not sure if there are a bug or if I have made some error...

Might help to know which one was growing Smile
It is f9a1d7d3.tbn that were growing in this log file.
And the image were folder.jpg for 27 dresses.

But if I had let it continue, I would have filled the disc with these files. Not all files get huge but enough of them...

I'll gladly try any build that gives extended log files or any other test idea.
For now, I have the win7 "flying solo" and the aTV uses the mysql db as before.
Interesting... the FileCache opens the folder.jpg again without closing it after that the copy should be already finished. The FileCache thread (T:1708) doesn't do any output after that ... so it might do a loop on something.

Will have a peak when i'm at home ... thx (tbh i'm one of the guys wo had trouble with monster thumbs some month ago hehe).

Could you upload that folder.jpg somewhere (don't attach to the forum because it might get resized ...)
You can get the original file here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1849060/folder.jpg

Would it help if I let it run for a while to create a couple of them?
To see if there is something in common between them...

I did a new run and got two more files to check. one folder.jpg (Bourne ultimatum) and one Fanart (10 reasons to hate you), I gave them unique names...

Latest Log
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1849060/1ed0a223.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1849060/de7eac99.jpg
mhh how so often ... things don't happen if you want them to ... Sad
Pity. Is there something else I can try to pinpoint and catch this elusive bug?
I have two sets of roaming/xbmc now, one working and one not.
It doesn't seem to be caused by special fanart images, but by a special usage. No clue how to reproduce that (i just scanned my whole lib and then went into the movie view for getting all fanarts fetched ... then changed into the file view and scrolled over the folders for getting the fanarts fetched again - it didn' give the bug - i even used your provided fanart.jpg for this). No clue ...

What plattforms do you have beside Windows? I have a workaround in queue, but its not the nicest thing to do (nice would be to trackdown the nfs bug ... but i can't when there is no reproducebility for me).
Pages: 1 2 3