Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Weather Underground
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-07-18, 22:29)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]Weather stopped working ?

not really... in the last version of the addon, you will have to enable weather retrieval.
go to Settings > Weather > Weather Underground - Settings

Older versions of XBMC (Eden) are no longer supported by this addon.

the reason for this change is Weather Underground not being happy with the load we put on their service.
by making this tiny change, we hope to limit the burden somewhat.
those who are interested in weather in xbmc, can easily enable it as described above.
while others, who don't care, won't have it running in the background by default anymore.

thanx for your understanding!

Just wondered though, your location setup screenshot now only has space for 3 but it did have 5 previously? If I go onto advanced settings, I have 5 locations to configure still? I guess this is to do with Weather Underground load?
Now if weather underground could fix this 1 year old glitch...
(2013-07-19, 15:53)Syncopation Wrote: [ -> ]Now if weather underground could fix this 1 year old glitch...

uh ?
(2013-07-19, 12:42)blondeshanks Wrote: [ -> ]Just wondered though, your location setup screenshot now only has space for 3 but it did have 5 previously? If I go onto advanced settings, I have 5 locations to configure still? I guess this is to do with Weather Underground load?

the one in the addon repo is for xbmc frodo and has 3 locations.

5 locations will only work on nightly xbmc builds and for this you need the latest test version
of the wunderground addon (available for download in the first post)
Ok, thanks for the clarification
Enabling the Weather Underground addon (as per Ronie's instructions above) has no effect for me - I call that it isn't working.
(2013-07-15, 17:23)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]it should be fixed if you update to the latest xbmc nightly build,
or use v1.0.15 of the wunderground addon (download link is in the first post)

Hey, thanks a lot! It works perfectly... awesome job!
(2013-07-20, 18:18)jackparsons Wrote: [ -> ]Enabling the Weather Underground addon (as per Ronie's instructions above) has no effect for me - I call that it isn't working.

1. enable debuglogging in xbmc. (settings > system > debugging)
2. enable logging in the weather addon (settings > weather > - settings > advanced options)
3. restart xbmc and go to weather screen
4. upload the contents of your xbmc.log file to xbmclogs.com and post the url here
If find it curious that weather should be part of the default XBMC configuration, especially given the tenuous arrangements with wunderground, Given the information here, wouldn't it be prudent to default to Yahoo Weather?
(2013-07-21, 00:30)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]If find it curious that weather should be part of the default XBMC configuration, especially given the tenuous arrangements with wunderground, Given the information here, wouldn't it be prudent to default to Yahoo Weather?

yup, switching to yahoo weather is being considered.

guess when wu agreed to provide free access, they didn't realize we were going to hit their servers 2.5 million times a day (and neither did we).
(2013-07-20, 21:59)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-20, 18:18)jackparsons Wrote: [ -> ]Enabling the Weather Underground addon (as per Ronie's instructions above) has no effect for me - I call that it isn't working.

2. enable logging in the weather addon (settings > weather > - settings > advanced options)
4. upload the contents of your xbmc.log file to xbmclogs.com and post the url here
Enabling the debugging meant I could fix it myself:
The script was saying "location not found" - so I went and re-added the same locations and then the script started working. I presume that refreshed the initialisation file which had somehow become corrupt or incompatible with the update.

Switching between cities is still a bit variable in its success, in that cycling through the choices may be necessary for refresh to occur, but that has always been so.
(2013-07-21, 10:33)jackparsons Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-07-20, 21:59)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]

Enabling the debugging meant I could fix it myself:
The script was saying "location not found" - so I went and re-added the same locations and then the script started working. I presume that refreshed the initialisation file which had somehow become corrupt or incompatible with the update.
thanx, that shouldn't happen of course.
i'll perform some additional tests on the code to make sure i didn't screw up somewhere.
(2013-07-21, 14:04)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]thanx, that shouldn't happen of course.
i'll perform some additional tests on the code to make sure i didn't screw up somewhere.
FYI this report pertains to Linux:

XBMC (12.2 Git:32b1a5e), Platform: Linux (Linux Mint 12 Lisa, 3.0.0-31-generic i686). Built on May 2 2013

I did the update using the zipfile referenced in the first post but it took the re-adding of the locations to re-enable the app.
What's a little funny is: Doesn't Yahoo's app for iOS pull data from WU anyways? Talk about load...
I rolled back my AppleTV's Eden Weather Undeground plugin to the previous version (which still works), but despite XBMC saying that the current (non-working for Eden) version is "blacklisted" it auto-updated again anyway today to the broken (for Eden) version. I think it's pretty crappy of the plugin to forcibly update itself to a non-working version in an Eden setup. If they don't want to support Eden any longer, fine, but don't update an Eden XBMC setup to *purposely* BREAK the plugin . It should simply refuse to update in Eden and stay on the last working version (0.9 I believe).

I just switched to the Yahoo plugin (which I did not see until today) and it seems to work OK, although I've personally found Weather Underground's forecasts to be more accurate than most other services (never used Yahoo before) such as AccuWeather (which has gotten the local temperature wrong by as much as 12 degrees before and often says its sunny or raining when it's not in both cases). The Weather Channel has been a little better but I try to stay away from them since they blocked many computer apps that used it (wanting money) such as the one I used in my Mac's menu bar.