Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video Library background keeps changing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Need a quick bit of advice here. The background for my Video Library menus keeps changing to movie fanart backgrounds. The parent directory (..) is the proper background that I want, but all the folders listed below it start out with the background I want, but eventually change to the fanart background.

I'm using Transparency! which I thought was the issue, but the backgrounds have changed in Confluence as well now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on which xml needs to be edited for this change to occur? Or is it a setting in Transparency? Thanks!
I have the exact same problem on my ATV2 with the latest nightly build. It's not affecting functionality but is a bug bear. Any help would be great...
System -> Skin -> General Settings -> Hide Background Fanart

Is that what you're after?
Kind of....

Background fanart is ok when browsing movies or tv shows but when i go to a video plugin, for example opening icefilms, i get fanart from family guy? I removed the Video thumbnails folder and it fixed it back to the default skin video background but since rebuilding the libery and downloading fanart again its defaulted to family guy.

Other than wiping it from my ATV2 and starting again i don't know what to do?
Try going to your Thumbnails/Video/Fanart folder and see if there's a file called ffffffff.tbn, if so, delete it. No guarantees it won't come back, though.
Maybe Transparency added a addon or a script of some sort that changes the fanart when you installed. I would check your addons to see if there is something there that you can change or disable. Someone in the Transparency forums maybe able to offer some ideas as well.
Cheers guys I will look and see if I can find that file or a rogue pluggin
scudlee Wrote:Try going to your Thumbnails/Video/Fanart folder and see if there's a file called ffffffff.tbn, if so, delete it. No guarantees it won't come back, though.

Perfect that sorted it cheers!Big Grin
First of all, I'd like to thank each of you for replying and trying to help resolve this issue.

Secondly, for scudlee, you are amazing. Thank you for the suggestion - 24hrs and the background is still gone.
scratch that ... I noticed after I deleted ffffffff.tbn the fanart for TV shows disappeared. The background was just black. So I tried rescanning all TV files (removed source, re-added source) and not only does the fanart still not show, one of the fanart backgrounds is now being used as the default in the video library.

Is there a way to edit specific information in ffffffff.tbn? such as changing the background for the video library only?
The tbn files are just renamed jpgs though, and the fffffff.tbn just happens to be the one being used as background by the plugins (for whatever reason...). Deleting it shouldn't have affected anything else.
That's awesome to know. I must've tinkered with some other setting while trying to fix it. Thanks again for imparting your knowledge, man. Much appreciated.
scudlee Wrote:Try going to your Thumbnails/Video/Fanart folder and see if there's a file called ffffffff.tbn, if so, delete it. No guarantees it won't come back, though.

I had the same issue, latest nightly (Dec 10). I removed ffffffff.tbn and all was well, but the very next show that updated with fanart was named ffffffff.tbn again and now in file view in the videos section, all videos without a discrete fanart for them display with the default ffffffff.tbn file again.

I've deleted it again... any permanent fixes out there so ffffffff.tbn isn't created in the fanart directory? I think it's just that I have enough fanart files in the Thumbnails/Video/Fanart that ffffffff is naturally coming up in the file numbering. (Got a lot of tv shows). My Thumbnails/Video/Fanart directory has 5,152 files, but I deleted ffffffff.tbn and the last few days worth to see if that'd fix the issue, so the actual amount was greater than that initially.
No, there's definitely a bug somewhere, the tbn files are named by hashing (crc32) the path to your file (or parent folder). ffffffff occurs when you pass an empty string to the hash function, which obviously shouldn't happen when it's scanning a file with an actual path. The chances of an actual path generating that value naturally are about 1 in 4294967296.

I think, as you say, the first new show to be scanned after deleting ffffffff.tbn is taking the prize, and then every subsequent new show wants to save there as well, but finds it already exists, so it doesn't save. Any item without fanart set is then defaulting to ffffffff.tbn. If you press i on a show with the wrong fanart and bring up the information screen, you can still get the right fanart and it will save it to the right location and show that instead.

A more "permanent" temporary fix therefore might be to copy your skins default Video background as ffffffff.tbn, that'll still prevent future new shows from automatically downloading fanart until you manually set it from the info screen, but at least it'll be less jarring than having the wrong fanart showing

The real fix, of course, would be to find whatever is caching the fanart without setting the path first, but that's a task for people smarter than me.
Yeah, I saved the default confluence video background as ffffffff.tbn. The downside is that if I'm browsing by file even if a folder (say "Batman: Brave and the Bold") has a fanart.jpg in there, when ffffffff.tbn exists it always displays whatever ffffffff.tbn is. This isn't an issue when browsing by TV Show or Movie via the db.

The problem is I keep a separate folder full of shows & movies that are safe for my kids, so I only browse those by file.

Another permanent fix would be to outlaw the name ffffffff.tbn in whatever subroutine is saving fanart files. Probably less effort than figuring out what's naming it that in the first place.
Pages: 1 2