Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NTLDR is missing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi There

New to all of this... I have just installed xbmc 10.01 Live onto my new Acer Revo following a setup guide.

However, when the install finished and rebooted the PC, I am getting the following message:

NTLDR is missing

It only gives me the option to restart...

Acer Revo is a brand new PC, so nothing previously loaded on it. Had Linpus linux, no Windows install.

Can ANybody help?? I have googled but doesn't seem to bring back much specific to xbmc installs...

Many thanks

Andy
Sounds like grub wasn't installed onto the hard disk. Did you install off a USB drive? Grub may have been installed onto that instead of the hard disk. Try and boot from the USB drive and see what happens.
Yes, I installed off a usb. I ran xbmc from the usb before installing, that worked fine. I can boot from usb and still run xbmc fine also. I get this error every time I try to run from hd.... any suggestions what to try??

Thanks
You'll need to install grub to your HDD, as it looks as if it's still trying to use the Windows bootloader. There are a couple of howtos on the Ubuntu boards.
Just install GRUB to the MBR.

Boot LiveCD / USB

Run

grub-install /dev/sda
Thanks for the tips guys..

Quote:Just install GRUB to the MBR.

Boot LiveCD / USB

Run

grub-install /dev/sda

For a non-techie / newbie to all this, any chance you could expand on this a little :-)

I'm gonna search the forums for 'grub' install to see if I can find more, and give it a go tonight after work.

Many Thanks
Hi Again

After doing some further reading, I understand what the issue is...

However, please excuse the simple questions...!

How do I get to a command prompt to execute the "grub-install /dev/sda" command from xbmc?? my knowledge of xbmc / linux is very small at the mo.

EDIT: "Press ctrl+alt+f2 and then ctrl+alt+f7 to get back" - will this work?? just found this suggestion from another similar question on the forum...

Also - is the "sda" bit always a?? I gather this stands for the drive?

Many thanks for you help guys.

Andy
arc123 Wrote:Also - is the "sda" bit always a?? I gather this stands for the drive?

Andy

SDA is the first physical drive in your computer. SDB would be the 2nd drive and so on. Partitions on the drive would be labeled SDA1, SDA2 etc. There's a live CD/USB program that can fix Grub for you. I've never used it but it might help with some of your confusion.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
Quote:Just install GRUB to the MBR.

Boot LiveCD / USB

Run

grub-install /dev/sda

Hi and thanks for your help - I have now tried this - I get the following error;

cp: cannot create regular file '/boot/grub/915resolution.mod': Permission denied

any ideas what to try nowHuh
Try looking over this tutorial.