Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MKV audio gets stuck (loop) then crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what might be causing playback of Green Zone to crash at 3:41. It's a 1080P MKV taken from a blu ray containing both the HD and SD sound tracks.

All my other MKV's which were compiled in exactly the same way are fine.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, running XBMC 10.1.

Essentially at 3:41 there is a shout/yell/sound effect that it gets stuck on - looping continuously, a few seconds later the picture freezes and the whole thing may crash out. Other times I can stop play back and get back to the menu (audio will still be looping) and play something else which usually clears it.

The same MKV plays without fault in Windows media player suggesting that it's not a problem with the file.

I only have Haali and FFDshow installed, no other codecs.

I have done a debug log, couldn’t see anything obviously wrong but then I don't know what i'm looking for.

Can anyone suggest anything to try?

cheers
dodge586 Wrote:Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what might be causing playback of Green Zone to crash at 3:41. It's a 1080P MKV taken from a blu ray containing both the HD and SD sound tracks.
cheers
You might have a bad segment in your MKV file. You can try to playback the same MKV file with external player. If it crash at the same spot using MPC-HC, you might want to rerip it using Handbrake instead.

You can download MPC-HC from here- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
Would the fact that it's playing fine in windows media player suggest it's ok?
No
XBMC seems to be less tolerant of encoding errors than Windows Media Player. If the film is always stopping at the same point it has to be an encoding error.

JR
A debug log would give clues.
I've done a little more experimenting and it's more than just the one movie, it's at least 3 and at more than one point in the film. It just seems to get hung up and keep looping about a seconds worth of audio. It seems to be related to the HD audio track (DTS-MA) as muxing the same MKV with just the standard 5.1 plays fine.

I've also played the same files in MPC-HC and at the same point where it would crash in XBMC you hear a little squeak/scratch although playback continues fine.

Playing in WMP using Haali and FFDShow is perfect.

I don't really want to have to go re-encoding all my mkv's to resolve this, especially as the audio is a direct stream copy with no messing about on my part, i'm slightly confused as to what could be upsetting it.

I'm a bit newb to all of this and I'm just wondering if I might be better off trying to use an alternative player for my MKV's. I see people are calling MPC-HC from within XBMC and from what I've read this seems to be a requirment if you ever want to bit stream audio - which I will want to do in the future.

I'm going to try and find a way of doing through haali and ffdshow as this as this is what works in WMP. Does anyone have any further suggestions or help on this?

Thanks
In an effort to try and get MPC-HC to playback using FFDshow I've been following this guide http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/02/...pc-part-i/

However, at the stage of setting an external audio decoder in MPC-HC none of the FFDshow audio decoders or filters are available for selection. I have tried browsing to he FFDshow folder looking for the DLL's but i'm not sure which is the correct one for the audio decoder.

I'm hoping that if I can get it playing using MPC-HC then I can use this over the built in xbmc player.

Can anyone help with this or suggest an alternative work around?
Thanks
dodge586 Wrote:In an effort to try and get MPC-HC to playback using FFDshow I've been following this guide http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/02/...pc-part-i/

However, at the stage of setting an external audio decoder in MPC-HC none of the FFDshow audio decoders or filters are available for selection. I have tried browsing to he FFDshow folder looking for the DLL's but i'm not sure which is the correct one for the audio decoder.

I'm hoping that if I can get it playing using MPC-HC then I can use this over the built in xbmc player.

Can anyone help with this or suggest an alternative work around?
Thanks
You might want to check out my thread on how to setup XBMC enternal player- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup
Thanks. At the moment I have got around the problem using the Eden beta with DSPlayer - it's working perfectly. I'll check that out though as I'll want to be bit streaming soon enough.
You can Bitstream with Dsplayer if it's working well for you, you just need to configure it to do so Smile