Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
two rather silly questions: is there any xbmcbuntu iso with Frodo and Xvba available for download? And how much performance improvements brings Xvba comparing to 'standard' XBMC installation from http://xbmc.org ?
nope and Xvba works, while mainline with vaapi is quite broken on AMD
yes, that's what I experienced with mainline on my AMD as well. thanks

an iso would be nice though ... :-) or is it ok to take any of your old iso with Xvba and just update xbmc from your ppa? (I'd like to avoid configuring auto login, auto start etc - takes me too long and I always get stuck at some point...)
Question - is fglrx 9.0.2 (ubuntu 12.10) - is that based on catalyst 12.9? Thanks
@tutu:
AMD does not talk about 12.xy anymore (though their downloads are still named like this), it talks about 9.x.y series. So the 12.9 Quantal is a whole lot newer than what you would expect. The userspace for example of 12.9Quantal supports xorg 1.13, where as fglrx 12.10 (9.0.1.something) does not.

You see - great confusion :-)
(2012-12-31, 18:35)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]via ssh:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
sudo aticonfig --sync-vsync=on
sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-u32=MCIL,HWUVD_H264Level51Support,1
sudo service lightdm start

you will need all three to be happy, so I mentioned them here.

Set your TV to "just scan" mode (LG) or "Fit" (Samsung) this will make sure 1:1 Pixel Mapping.

@fritsch

Sorry for the delay. I was able to get this to work with you instructions with one mod at least for my setup. Instead of Underscan 0 Underscan 6 worked. Anything worked, but not zero at least for my TV, 6 scaled well. For whatever reason by default, my TV clips the output rather than having black borders.

What I still dont understand is why afterwards, I can change this through Control Center and it will take on the next session. I would have guessed the '0' setting would force it not to default and then I could change it in the same way, but at least for me I dont think it behaves this way. I have to set it to something other than '0' and then I can change it through the GUI in control center.

I think one of the last things I need to figure is why the session seizes after some time. I am guessing screen saver or power saving mode.

Thank you again Fritsch.
U may test in VMware VM.

Summary:
  • Ubuntu 12.10 minimal x86 / x64
  • AMD / Intel / Nvidia GPU Support / VMWare (automatisch)
  • XBMC Frodo (from wsnipex)
  • preconfigured XBMC setting of choice (3 Skins + my Settings optional)
  • LiveTV / Oscam / Sedu-Ambilight Support (Plug and Play)
  • XBMC Bootscreen
  • SSH Zugriff (xbmc/xbmc) + Samba Freigaben

AblaufSadgerman)

1. Mini ISO hier laden: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21136636/htpc/i...master.iso
  2. Unetbootin hier laden: http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/sys.../?download
  3. Mittels Unetbootin einen Bootfähigen USB Stick erstellen (>64 MB benötigt)
  4. HTPC braucht auf jedenfall Zugang zu Internet
  5. Mittels Einmalboot-Menü (meist F8-F12) vom Stick booten, oder im Bios (Entf) bei Festplatten Priorität auf den USB Stick als erstes Bootdevice wechseln.
  6. Ein blaues Fenster erscheint. Automatic HTPC Installation wählen, x32 oder x64
  7. Netzwerk einstellen und USB stick abziehen
  8. geführt oder manuell partitionieren
  9. nach dem ersten Neustart müsste ein blauer Dialog kommen (englisch)
  10. wenn nicht anders vorhergesehen default Werte nehmen - Auswahlen mit "Leertaste" treffen
  11. nach ca 30 Minuten sollte der PC rebooten und XBMC sollte laden.
  12. unter Umständen TV deaktivieren sofern nicht gebraucht

Tutorial: (english)

1. Download the ISO file from here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21136636/htpc/i...master.iso
  2. Download the Unetbootin tool from here: http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/sys.../?download
  3. create a bootable USB boot media, select the iso file and use a USB drive with more than 64MB
  4. Internet connection is required!
  5. boot from USB - you might need to change the boot settings in BIOS r press the "one time boot key"
  6. smal blue windows should appear, select "Automatic HTPC Installation"
  7. configure network- unplug the USD drive
  8. guided or manual partitioning
  9. after first boot, an english script should run
  10. use default values in that dialoges - if you want to customize press "space" to select or deselect
  11. after 30-60 minutes, the HTPC should reboot and XBMC should automatically start on boot
  12. you might customize your xbmc or turn LiveTV off

enjoy

Edit:

Sample Vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeyH7P9Rng
Does it make a difference if I reinstall my system to 12.10 as a base for my xbmc htpc or is the 12.04 ubuntu base just as good. Would I get any benefits from it?

I am currently running a 12.04 that I have been running since this summer but since we moved into the the betas and rcs I have noticed that I am getting sync issues between my sound and my display that i never had before.

Seems to me that the sound is early in the beginning of a show.. dead on in the middle and late in the end.

Michael.
should be almost no difference. Wink u may try out my ISO file Big Grin
Krautmaster: just for the record - am I getting right that this an installation without any graphical interface behind, so there's no way to e.g. browse the web?
(2013-01-05, 12:36)jannk Wrote: [ -> ]And how much performance improvements brings Xvba comparing to 'standard' XBMC installation from http://xbmc.org ?

Quite a lot if you play HD content, especially on slower CPU/APUs. The best thing the 'standard' version has is VAAPI in this regard. But that doesnt work well.
For example i have a bdrip 1080p mkv that uses ~60-80% CPU with software decoding (AMD A8-5500 APU with 12.12 release driver). VAAPI uses ~40-50, but i get artefacts, its unwatchable.
Xvba gives ~28% (give or take 1%, very small variations), works perfectly. For that matter, i get ~28% for any 1080p clip i play and ~20 for standard ones. Idle is at ~10%.

EDIT:
As of 12 RC3, idle usage is at 2-3% CPU, 1080p playback with Xvba ~19-20%. Nice.
(2013-01-08, 15:24)jannk Wrote: [ -> ]Krautmaster: just for the record - am I getting right that this an installation without any graphical interface behind, so there's no way to e.g. browse the web?

FireFox is included in my preconfigured setting u may coose in install (is ticked by default) - will be there in XBMC Main Menu to launch FireFox in Full HD.

Normally there comes no desktop with. Its based on a minimal installation, u may use a 4 GB USB drive as OS drive too ... but running FireFox means i need to install fluxbox as minimal windows manager with xbmc. So u can run other applications as well but its designed to use XBMC as main GUI.

LiveTV via VDR and VNSI is included as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faeyH7P9Rng
Krautmaster: I tried your installation script, despite some struggles with German language :-) I managed to install it, thanks.
It looks just fine, but I wasn't able to connect it through secured wifi (it never prompted for a password) + after the installation the main XBMC menu is partially still in German. I did switch to English, most of the menu is in English, but items like BEENDEN, FILME, SERIEN, BILDER, MUSIK seem still German to me (in Aeon Nox; Confluence is fine)
I'll have a more detailed look tomorrow, it could be just my mistakes.
no no i recognized the same... any how the AEON Nox skin doenst switch to english - dont ask me why... buggy.

The Diffuse Skin does.

@ Wifi problems.

I got the same one day. I needed to choose cancle on wireless configuration, a error message will appear. After, i can select configure network again... and it works fine. When network is done it continues with the unattened install.
Need to figure out why this happens...

User is xbmc / pass too... btw - it is still normal ubuntu + xbmc. If u delete the .xbmc folder u have completely standard.