Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
yes install latest frodo xbmcbuntu unless you have an abandonware graphics card from amd. Then

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba

After that you should be able to get the latest xvba builds.

If you have an amd 3xxx 4xxx or 5xxx series graphics card, start with frodo beta2 xbmcbuntu iso and upgrade from there. It is based on ubuntu 12.04 (rather than 12.10) which has support for your graphics chip.
(2013-03-25, 09:15)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]yes install latest frodo xbmcbuntu unless you have an abandonware graphics card from amd. Then

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba

After that you should be able to get the latest xvba builds.

If you have an amd 3xxx 4xxx or 5xxx series graphics card, start with frodo beta2 xbmcbuntu iso and upgrade from there. It is based on ubuntu 12.04 (rather than 12.10) which has support for your graphics chip.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Since my A6-3500 has HD 6530D, i.e. 6xxx series GPU, I'll try the final/latest frodo xbmcbuntu .iso. Hope it will go smooth. And thanks for pointing out the repository; much appreciate your assistance.
@EazyVG

No actually the iso doesnt have proper amd support (xvba which is hardwrae acceleration for amd) you will need to add and use repository after install anyway.

uNi
(2013-03-25, 09:42)uNiversal Wrote: [ -> ]@EazyVG

No actually the iso doesnt have proper amd support (xvba which is hardwrae acceleration for amd) you will need to add and use repository after install anyway.

uNi

Thanks, added the wsnipex repo and updated the drivers. All working just as should be. Tried with several 1080 DD/DTS >30GB video files. Last time it took me well over an hour to have the HTPC setup, this time about 30 mins and all ready to go! Opensource is way to go - especially when it works without much tweaks :p
I have a couple of questions related to previous discussions in this thread:

1) I was previously using the testing PPA and switched back to the stable PPA so that I can run 12.1. I uninstalled XBMC, switched PPA's, then re-installed. Was this the proper method for switching between builds? It seems like there are some issues with my installation now.

2) I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with the latest AMD beta drivers. I have noticed that I have the 100% CPU core issue. Do I need to switch back to 12.9 then? If so, anyone have an appropriate link for the procedure?

Sorry if these are repeat questions. It's quite difficult wading through the 200 plus pages of this thread.
(2013-03-26, 02:58)SikeMo Wrote: [ -> ]I have a couple of questions related to previous discussions in this thread:

1) I was previously using the testing PPA and switched back to the stable PPA so that I can run 12.1. I uninstalled XBMC, switched PPA's, then re-installed. Was this the proper method for switching between builds? It seems like there are some issues with my installation now.
Yes, sounds correct.

(2013-03-26, 02:58)SikeMo Wrote: [ -> ]2) I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with the latest AMD beta drivers. I have noticed that I have the 100% CPU core issue. Do I need to switch back to 12.9 then? If so, anyone have an appropriate link for the procedure?

Sorry if these are repeat questions. It's quite difficult wading through the 200 plus pages of this thread.
It has been written over and over in this and other threads: ALL AMD drivers >=12.10 have broken V-Sync, which causes the 100% cpu issue.
recommended driver for ubuntu 12.04: catalyst 12.10 from AMDs website (installed as deb)
recommended driver for ubuntu 12.10: catalyst 12.09 from ubuntu repo
I just scratched everything and started over with Ubuntu 12.10. When you say that 12.09 is from the Ubuntu repo, do you mean I should just install the fglrx from "Software Sources-> Additional Drivers" tab? I tried this and I got the good old Unity crash after reboot, which was why I originally was using 12.04.

Update: Disregard, I found it:

sudo apt-get install linux-source fglrx fglrx-amdcccle

Update 2: That just brought me back to the same installation as if I had done it through the "Additional Drivers" tab (makes sense, I guess).

So now I am in a situation where if I use the latest version of fglrx, I get the 100% cpu and vsync issue. If I use 12.9 from the ubuntu repo, I get a Unity crash. There doesn't seem to be any workable solution. I'm officially pulling my hair out with this. May have to stick with 12.9 and try Gnome.
you obviously refuse to read the OP carefully. there is a big fat warning about compiz and friends.
nonetheless, unity in general should work with catalyst 12.9. I guess you did something wrong, e.g. not purge other/newer drivers properly.
(2013-03-26, 10:51)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]It has been written over and over in this and other threads: ALL AMD drivers >=12.10 have broken V-Sync, which causes the 100% cpu issue.
recommended driver for ubuntu 12.04: catalyst 12.10 from AMDs website (installed as deb)
recommended driver for ubuntu 12.10: catalyst 12.09 from ubuntu repo

If you wanted to do something crazy and run 13.04 is there an acceptable driver to use? I think I saw a note that there is no driver that works well. My 12.10 install is running so well I am getting bored just simply using a working system. Joking of course but recently was playing around with 13.04 on another dev system and wondered when it would be ready to run XBMC. Thanks.
the obvious answer to that is: it works on nvidia and intel Wink
I know I am late to the party - but just wanted to say a big THANKS! for this. I have been searching the web for hours trying to find a resolution and this fixed it perfectly!
@wsnipex: you have forgotten: _and it works on windows_ :-)
Everything works great on my E350 except svtplay plugin that stutters quite alot. Everything seems to be fixed with the new ffmpeg 1.2 bump, (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=ffmpeg). Will that be included in this build as soon as a PR is happening?
What does the new "RGB Limited" Option do in the xvba-testing build? Is it "real" RGB Limited or only a "compatibility" Option for TV sets that cannot handle Full RGB?
real