Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It is like "always driving 100 km/h" in the first gear :-)

There is basically no need to upscale movies that are already 1920 or near 1920 in width with lanczos 3 it is just iteratively calculating on the image with the nearlyidentical result you pushed in.To see how lanczos3 works see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanczos_resampling Consider the sinc "evil" in domain space and see the polynoms that are used to calculated the convolution.

Now think of x \approx i in the multidimensionalInterpolation formula, you will realize that the result in order to be smooth "in subpixel dimension" as you your target area consists nearly only supporting points (i) + some minor per cent missing (x), that you will have approximately the same results when using bilinear, perhaps + some very small gaussian kernel + another very small edge enhancement.

In short: no need to calculate in O(n^2)*Convultion which is here a bit better than O(n^2) cause of the properties of the sinc.

In short: Set it to 20% and save the planet :-)

Edit:On could tune the "iterations" concerning the scaling width - but did not look into the code in detail to see if this is possible, e.g. stop after only one iteration - hehe, you see what you get if you do this?
I bought a e350 motherboard as a backup, they are pretty cheap.
It was interesting reading the "Playback Hangs if VDPAU Fails" thread as it's the first time i've seen someone talking about actually trying to use it.

Does UVD from the radeon (not fglrx) driver seem a viable replacement in future from the messing about with working AMD driver versions in regards to features, stability and speed.

it will interesting to test Ubuntu Saucy when they integrate UVD.
Nobody knows about the future. I have tested OSS vdpau for radeon the last three days with a user, that owns a C60 and the results he got were really bad in the sense of slow and non smooth.

As of today, there is no fully working alternative to XVBA on fglrx on radeon cards.

But: OSS is making process and it is getting better week by week.
I kinda understand of resizing of lower resolutions to higher ones or vice versa.
But...apology in advnace.... as I'm not a developer I don't really understand why you need to use scaling when you have same picture width on display with same resolution width (1920x... to 1920x1080 display). In that case I would really expect all scalers to output same image, because you don't have anything to scale. Is this what happens in xbmc or do decoders have to resize even when both display and picture width matches? If it is so, why this exactly happens?
The "problem" is the double pass rendering for hq scalers. Even if they don't actually scale, you still have the double pass (first to fbo, then to back buffer) which consumes resources.
so HQ scaling > standard scaling?
But it is not possible to use it for 1080p material on 1080p display if 0% disables this feature?
0% disables the feature of disabling hq scaling Smile or in other words: if you select 0% and a hq scaler, the hq scaler is used regardless of there is any scaling or not.
Ok then last thing to clear up the confusion, HQ scaler is used by default in xvba-testing? Or HQ scaler = Lanczos3 optimized scaler or is also any other scaler? Sorry, but I've not felt dumb like I feel now for a long time Big Grin
Also noticed that when I play standard xvid files, for example - 512x384 25 fps, then playback is in slow motion (no dropped/skipped frames reported) , fps is around 12-19 fps...
The only way to "fix" the playback is by disabling "Allow hardware acceleration (VDPAU)"
Some video cards can accelerate xvid via vdpau, some can't. Perhaps this is related?
(2013-06-16, 21:06)ezechiel1917 Wrote: [ -> ]Also noticed that when I play standard xvid files, for example - 512x384 25 fps, then playback is in slow motion (no dropped/skipped frames reported) , fps is around 12-19 fps...
The only way to "fix" the playback is by disabling "Allow hardware acceleration (VDPAU)"

You can disable mpeg4 decoding for vdpau in advanced settings. There is a problem with some avi / xvid I have not tracked down yet.
yup, just found out, <allowmpeg4vdpau> is used by default with xvba compared to mainline where it's not used by default.
Added it to advancedsettings and set to false and playback is now back to normal.
I know those kabini boards aren't on the market yet, but would it be a lot of work to have xbmc xvba support for them?
It will just work "out of the box" - if they have a UVD and a working fglrx driver.
Nais! Can't wait for them (see my post for those interested in Kabini)