Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By package I meant the wsnipex-ppa, the modified version of xbmc for better AMD hardware acceleration. Or am I understanding this incorrectly?
it doesn't hurt, but there won't be any hardware acceleration(neither with mainline xbmc). Unless you want to go the vdpau route with the bleeding edge OSS radeon. For details on that are a few pages back.
Alright, it's just that the fglrx drivers make my system freeze but it's not related to XBMC so it's out of the scope of this thread. And probably not even my settings, because I tested various distributions.
I used the E45M1 for all my testing / developing of XVBA and from that I know, it should work quite well :-)
It's kind of off-topic, but I want to reply to you, and maybe you have a suggestion:

I really don't know what's up with mine. When I'm using fglrx drivers and any x-session, my system completely locks up. I can't go to lower TTYs or ssh remotely. Temperatures seem to be ok, around 50-60°C maximum. Even the logs (syslog, dmesg) rarely show anything when it happens. I tried Live DVD distributions like XBMCubuntu which comes packaged with fglrx drivers and it freezes after a few minutes.

If I stop lightdm or use open source drivers the system ran weeks without problems.

My only clue on the internet is this link. There might be something wrong with the board in general.
Yeah. Update the bios / if possible. OSS radeon does not fully upclock your GPU (at least did not until 3.11-rc1 with dpm=1), which might be the difference here. In bios try to disable the C6 powersaving mode and clock the memory to 1066.

Replace the memory modules. The kernel log looks evil.
Thanks for the reply.

The BIOS is already latest I think from 10/2012.
I ran memtest86+ a few hours without errors and I'm usually running the system without GUI most of the time and had no problems.

Trying your tip with 1033mhz and disabling powersave mode. I'll report back in a bit Smile

edit: The powersaving sounds promising, because in most cases I don't see a trace of the freeze in the logs.
edit2: So far so good, 1hour in! I'm letting a video playlist play, the cpu is chilling at 8% with 45°C.

I'm really excited right now, because I spent many hours trying to solve this problem, trying different drivers, settings and distributions. And researching it on the internet was too specific.
I'll let it run for a few more hours and hopefully I might be eternally grateful, fritsch!
It ran 5 hours til I shut it down without problems and I was super excited.

But today the problems returned in different shapes. Now I get flickering horizontal colored lines and it freezes again after that, sometimes it reboots itself. It doesn't take long, maybe 30seconds after logging into Gnome.
Sounds memory related?
Yes - i would exchange the memory and retry. Next -> Power supply.
Switched back to 1333MHz and the colored lines disappeared. Still freezes though. Then switched to 1066 again and it seems to work again... hints even more to random memory issues.

edit: I feel bad for cluttering up the topic, can I bother you with PMs for future observations?
edit2: It's been running for 10 hours. Crashed again once rebooted
edit3: The system runs stable once it crashed on 1333 and then setting it to 1066. This is reproducable.
Today I've updated xvba-testing package to xbmc 2:13.0~git20130810.0500-011a5d2-0raring and I'm getting 24Hz VDPAU stutter like a mad man (it rarely plays ok). There is nothing reported in xbmc debug log when this happens and no frames being reported as dropped, skipped or missed. Stutter can be fixed if I exit fullscreen playback then return again to fullscreen playback.

Previous package I've been using (from 26th July) plays everything fine. Any idea what's going on?
Recheck especially all your Audio Settings. This new testing version has a new AudioEngine. And as always - no error reporting without Debug Log
np, I can see it. investigating.
I'll try to post debug log, but I didn't observed anything written to it while playback is regularly stuttering. It looks like it regularly displays older frames than should be displayed.
I can fix the playback by either
1) disabling VDPAU
2) skipping Adjust display refresh rate to match video (by starting 24Hz playback from 24Hz GUI)
3) exit fullscreen playback (24Hz) to GUI (50Hz) then return again to fullscreen playback (24Hz)
Ups, yes - sorry, did not see: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/issues/162