Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Airplay now works when I updated to latest version from

https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba

Thanks alot!
(2012-03-18, 20:14)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@XBMCnew
Do local files work fine?
I never used icefilms and don`t know what navi-x is.

(2012-03-19, 11:18)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]please don't complain about buffering when streaming from very questionable internet sources.

Hi Fritsch / Wsnipex,

I am a noob for both linux and xbmc so anything i say is not a complaint but my lack of knowledge and improper way of putting my problem. Please bear with me. I've the highest respect for you both.

Navi-x is also an xbmc addon which shows in program and not under video like icefilm addon.

Local files are also not smooth but buffer like anything from icefilm.

Can i have the best setting for AMD Catalyst which might be the reason. Also the setting in Video playback in xbmc settings.

Thanks

(2012-03-14, 19:58)m.bluemle Wrote: [ -> ]@fritsh: same issue again with pci=nomsi, error 71

i tried to update the kernel to 3.2 but it doesn´t work!

i did it like in many ho-to´s i found on the internet:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:francisbrwn9/kernels
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

but it showed my nothing to upgrade! the ppa is added correctly! what do i wrong?
i´m using xubuntu 11.10

anyone an idea?

Hai, maybe I have a solution.

I dont know what kind of computer you are useing, but if the usb 3 is a Renesas Electronics
then first try updateing the firmware
Look if your computer brand has firmwares and if not try the firmware of Renesas Electronics itzelf.
I've fixed multiple computer with usb issues by just updateing this firmware.
( Dell laptop 170x2, fujitsu All in one computer )
when down, try the command update-pciids and update-usbids the check with lsusb and lspci.

(2012-03-17, 20:25)m.bluemle Wrote: [ -> ]short back to my kernel problems:
i installed the 3.2 kernel from the ubuntu mainline ppa´s and wasn´t able to boot with it! i didn´t gt the desktop, only black screen! i give it up!

when using kernel 3.2 did you blacklist the radeon driver ?
( for me in debian )
vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and add "blacklist radeon"
( optional and blacklist radeonhd )

now install the ati drivers.
run : aticonfig --initial -f && aticonfig --sync-vsync=on

test if you can login with ssh, if needed.
and reboot.

(2012-03-20, 17:39)magny Wrote: [ -> ]Airplay now works when I updated to latest version from

https://launchpad.net/~wsnipex/+archive/xbmc-xvba

Thanks alot!

LoL Big Grin airplay was working for me for about 2 months now. ( debian wheezy ).
AMD sharing the driver-code to community. Will this affect the e350 fusion too?

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dr...20358.html

Not immediately... Especially since there's no (or only very basic) UVD support in the opensource driver.

Will take quite a while.
@thctlo:

thnx for your tips! i´ve tried an bios update yesterday, but still same issues on usb3.0!
i found the firmware for the usb3.0 controller, but i don´t know how to update in linux?! the firmware update program is for windows! any idea? maybe it runs in wine?
how did you made the updates?

also thnx for the tip with the kernel, i will try it!
New Version available: 2:11.0~git20120324.1656-0800300
- rebase: 99% Eden + PVR
- XVBA: complete redesign
- lower CPU usage on low end systems, e.g E-350, E-450
(2012-03-25, 12:06)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]New Version available: 2:11.0~git20120324.1656-0800300

Is it still needed to use your version on the E-350 (my HTPC) ?
As the final EDEN states:
"And now even AMD devices are supported for GPU video decoding in Linux to some extent, thanks to the inclusion of VAAPI." (http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/03/24/xbmc-11-0-eden/)

Eg, is the xvba support in XBMC Eden final as good as in your build?

Regards,

There is no xvba support in any stable xbmc version.
It exists a wrapper for xvba, which is not anymore developed since June last year. With vaapi and this wrapper the eden release uses the UVD of the AMD card.

We had important reasons to develop our xvba only version. But you can give it a try and compare yourself, concerning cpu/load, stability, 24p stuff and so on.

Ah you see the "to some extent" in the original message?
(2012-03-25, 15:51)djvdthemaster Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-25, 12:06)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]New Version available: 2:11.0~git20120324.1656-0800300

Is it still needed to use your version on the E-350 (my HTPC) ?
As the final EDEN states:
"And now even AMD devices are supported for GPU video decoding in Linux to some extent, thanks to the inclusion of VAAPI." (http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/03/24/xbmc-11-0-eden/)

Eg, is the xvba support in XBMC Eden final as good as in your build?

Regards,

it's working better than before, 50% cpu use with 720p files, but over100% with 1080p files.
So XVBA is still the best that happened to this little AMD APUs!!!!

I have to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for XVBA!!!! to fritsch, wsnipex and whoever is involved!

....but right now i've got the problem, that after the update, my music files won't be played.
I only hear noise over the HDMI output. Videos are fine, stereo and dolby digital, only music files are concerned.
i've got an ASUS EeeBOX 1021 with an E-450 Processor.
i'm not shure if it's an Eden problem, does xvba even affect the hdmi audio?
@XanomalieX:
Do you have libmad0 installed?

Ah, the main contributor and superior codemonkey is Fernetmenta. Whithout his coding skills, no xvba :-)
(2012-03-25, 19:25)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]@XanomalieX:
Do you have libmad0 installed?

Ah, the main contributor and superior codemonkey is Fernetmenta. Whithout his coding skills, no xvba :-)

i have to check, but i haven't installed it knowingly.
is libmad0 the problem or the solution?!

... and as far as libmad0 is about mp3, stuff i have the same problem with wav and flac files
Install it and retry. It is part of the howto, though :-)
(2012-03-25, 20:25)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Install it and retry. It is part of the howto, though :-)

yeah i see it's part of "step 1", so i did install it.