Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/Nvidia/Intel GPUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-08-07, 20:42)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]@cirkator: yes, unless you need it Smile my xbmc packages are build without pulse

Okay, thank you Smile
I installed the Frodo-based version and amd catalyst 12.6 drivers and now the overall stability is much better! Moreover, the issue with "standard" (non-HD) audio is disappeared.

The only problem that now I experience is with HD audio:
- Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital True HD, DTS Master Audio are not played, audio is muted. Is this problem due to driver issues? Is there a workaround, for example to automatically transform HD audio to SD audio?
yes, HD audio is automatically reencoded to AC3 (if you have 5.1 speakers) or downmixed to stereo.
But you need to configure your audio setup in Xbmc properly. E.g. don't set 2.1 speakers, if you don't have a real 2.1 audio setup.

btw, this is a limitation of fglrx, because it only provides 2 audio channels.(AC3 and DTS only need 2, so that works)
Thank you for the reply wsnipex. I thought it was only a driver problem, I did not think that it was a configuration problem.
My Audio settings
My system:
Software
- ubuntu server 12.04:
- xbmc-xvba via ppa
- no pulseaudio
- AMD catalyst 12.6
Hardware:
- Asrock E350M1/USB3 connected via HDMI to
- Denon AVR-1611 connected via HDMI to the TV
try to disable TrueHD and DTS-HD capable receiver

and do you really have only 2 speakers connected to the denon receiver?
Yes, I have only two speakers (for now). My intention is to upgrade the system gradually, compatibly with my finances :-)

I tried to disable the two TrueHD and DTS-HD options (logically) and now audio is not muted.
The problem remains with DD Plus, audio is muted. Now I am happy with this situation, if you have an idea I will try, if you don't have... amen :-D
Hi,

I am currently running into some tests to migrate my installations from xbmc-xvba-eden to xbmc-xvba and i'm having some having issues i'd like to report.

I'm testing it in exactly the same conditions than the system running (perfectly fine) on eden, i have a second cloned partition and a home directory copied from the original and isolated, running Ubuntu desktop (Xubuntu running XFCE) with ATI 12.6 on AMD E-350.

Anything related to Library, Video , Music playback or standard XBMC features works perfectly, still i have issues using advanced launcher addon to integrate access to external programs (chromium, pcmanfm for file managing and amdcccle)
(See http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html for details and screenshot of i what i mean)

I can observe that when the system and xbmc are beeing launched for the first time, i can launch chromium (as far en example) which will maximized when opened and when closed getteing back to XBMC with no issues.
If i re do the operation and open any external program, the screen keeps to show XBMC but the focused application is in fact the launched program (i can't see it), if i close it with a keyboard shortcut i go back to XBMC with issue.

When i am in this condition, i can see randoms graphical bugs and artefacts, until i close the program and get back to XBMC.
If if reboot, then i can relaunch one time with success any external program, but a second relaunch will go into the same buggy situation.

This does not occurs with xbmc-xvba-eden, it does only happens in xbmc-xvba.

I can see in general much more graphical instability you don't have in Eden, as far an example when i close XBMC to get back to XFCE (which sometimes works, somestimes crashes and keeps XBMC processes running but the UI unsable) and re-launch XBMC, first screen is the last screen XBMC shown before stopping it :-)

Sorry for my long post and long explanations, and thank you for your help.

I've generated and pasted log file with debug mode (1) activated:

http://pastebin.com/dP0iSi8a

I can see errors related to screen destroy failures.

Thks! Cool
Got it running with a wired USB keyboard. Thanks for helping guys.
@guilmxm: do you have compositing in xfwm4 enabled?
@wsnipex: I think yes, compositing is enable by defaut "Xfce Desktop compositing is enabled in the Xubuntu 12.04 by default"
I'll try to deactivate it and re-test
Hi,

For anyone who would be interested, i wrote a full tutorial based on this forum to install and configure XBMC on Fusion systems:

http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html

Please feel free to comment or mention any required correction, i will appreciate Cool

Guillmxm
@wsnipex: YOU ARE A MASTER Big Grin !!! I deactivated compositing in XFCE and re-tested, it's definitively working like a charm Cool

Thank you very much!!
nice comprehensive howto Smile

small correction though:
xbmc-xvba-eden: Stable Eden version, H264 Level5.1 fix not included and Audio Engine not included
-> h264 L5.1 is supported in the Eden version. It also includes a fix for the ASIC hang.

edit: linked to the 1st page Smile
@wsnipex: Great! Thanks for the link to the first page Cool Big Grin, i corrected for remarks about Eden version
(2012-08-10, 16:19)guilmxm Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

For anyone who would be interested, i wrote a full tutorial based on this forum to install and configure XBMC on Fusion systems:

http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/0...linux.html

Please feel free to comment or mention any required correction, i will appreciate Cool

Guillmxm

Nice work. The SSD UEFI section should say AHCI instead of EHCI though.

(2012-08-10, 22:43)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]small correction though:
xbmc-xvba-eden: Stable Eden version, H264 Level5.1 fix not included and Audio Engine not included
-> h264 L5.1 is supported in the Eden version. It also includes a fix for the ASIC hang.
For the record: the Arch Linux packages (in the AUR) both have these fixes built in.