Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Screen sharing in OSX Lion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am a first-time Mac user (just bought a July'11 model Mac Mini, 8GB RAM, Inter Core i3, Intel HD 3000).

I use my Mac Mini as a home server. On startup, it auto-logins to a user called "mediacenter" that runs XBMC upon login. So powering on takes you straight into XBMC. I use an Android app to control it with my phone as a remote. It's perfect! (Can't speak highly enough of all those coders making this possible).

Now, I also want to run a couple of virtual machines with Linux. Therefore I installed VirtualBox and created another account called "vmserver" which I use for this. This is also working well.

My problem is this though: I enabled screen sharing in order to be able to log in and do stuff with the "vmserver" user while I watch-video/listen-music on XBMC. So, while "mediacentre" is logged into the console, I open a new session with a VNC client and log in as "vmserver". This doesn't seem to work well. Usually the XBMC screen will "freeze" while audio is still playing. Sometimes it may freeze as if I pressed "pause" until I log out from the VNC session.

Is there a way to make XBMC and screen sharing play nice? I don't want to view the XBMC video remotely. I just want XBMC to be able to play on the physical monitor while I use another account to work with the GUI on the remote display. Sometimes it works perfectly fine (like right now when I am typing this). Part of my problem is that I don't understand what makes the mediacentre/XBMC/physical-screen session "freeze" wen I start my my vmserver/VirtualBox/remote-VNC-display session.

Any hints?

Thanks a lot!
Known issue with osx lion. It will not be addressed in Eden, it's just too late for that.
I suppose you are referring to this one: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11801

At least I know it's not something that can be fixed by some setting. I'll just have to stick to SSH terminal for now.

Thx!