Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Airplay on Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I installed the nightly build and can't get my iPad 2 to see any Airplay devices. Everything is on one subnet. I am using Win 7. I enabled Airplay and zeroconf. I rebooted the PC after enabling.

I don't have iTunes installed on my XBMC PC. Do I need it or bonjour installed? I thought XBMC had native support?
Problem solved, you do need to install bonjour from Apple. I downloaded the iTunes.exe and extracted just the bonjour package for install. Very nice stuff, it worked instantly after loading.
Only videos work? YouTube app works perfectly with audio but playing music from my iPad is silent.
yep no music for windows yet ... but for all other plattforms...
Memphiz Wrote:yep no music for windows yet ... but for all other plattforms...
I just noticed your avatar, I also fly RC helis and planes. Any ideas when music will be working?
I can't get audio only to work on Ubuntu, video works just fine
gquiring Wrote:I just noticed your avatar, I also fly RC helis and planes. Any ideas when music will be working?

Hehe ... yeah ... fly or die Big Grin ... beside that - it will be available when someone ports the libshairport to windows. Its a time consuming and frustrating task and i'm not sure when this will happen.
atari800 Wrote:I can't get audio only to work on Ubuntu, video works just fine

Missing libshairport ... missing xbmc.log for telling it for sure Big Grin
Memphiz Wrote:Missing libshairport ... missing xbmc.log for telling it for sure Big Grin

So does that mean you got audio only to work? I'm trying to set it up right now, XBMC Eden Beta on Kubuntu 11.10 with libshairport0 installed.

Other end MBA with iTunes - it sees XBMC as a speaker option, but when I select it, it just switches back instantly to the MBA's speakers...?

EDIT: I tried adding password protection, but it doesn't change the behavior in any way.

EDIT 2: Hmm. Seems it might be this issue. I hate iTunes in the first place, just didn't know which other app to stream from Smile I'll try another app and see how it fares.
DanielBuus Wrote:So does that mean you got audio only to work? I'm trying to set it up right now, XBMC Eden Beta on Kubuntu 11.10 with libshairport0 installed.

Other end MBA with iTunes - it sees XBMC as a speaker option, but when I select it, it just switches back instantly to the MBA's speakers...?

EDIT: I tried adding password protection, but it doesn't change the behavior in any way.

EDIT 2: Hmm. Seems it might be this issue. I hate iTunes in the first place, just didn't know which other app to stream from Smile I'll try another app and see how it fares.

Sure i got it working ... i've implemented that feature into XBMC Wink. So

1. there is no XBMC Eden Beta out yet.
2. for fixing your issue with iTunes you have to disable IPV6 on your mac (depends on if you have snow leopard or lion howto do it - google is your friend). Better use iPod app or something similar from an iDevice (iPhone or iPad)
if you need audio support in windows, and can't wait .. you could always just have this running in the background:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/shairport4w/

I know it's not perfect, but it might be better than nothing! Smile
Memphiz Wrote:Sure i got it working ... i've implemented that feature into XBMC Wink.

Cool! Big Grin

Memphiz Wrote:So

1. there is no XBMC Eden Beta out yet.

Fair 'nuff. It's just that since an update last week my XBMC completely changed looks and the splash screen says V11.0 "EDEN" | BETA. So I assumed I was running that version. It's the most recent one in the PPA for my Kubuntu distro anyway Smile

Memphiz Wrote:2. for fixing your issue with iTunes you have to disable IPV6 on your mac (depends on if you have snow leopard or lion howto do it - google is your friend). Better use iPod app or something similar from an iDevice (iPhone or iPad)

Thank you for that tip! I will try that after I return from shopping (gotta get ingredients for baking cookies). In the meantime I've done some router fixing (router-behind-a-router was blocking autodiscovery), and I've also tried this iMediaShare app for my Android phone, and got video streaming to work to XBMC. Though the "native" XBMC protocol was more stable than the AirPlay protocol (I assume that's the one because it had "beta" written after it which the other XBMC option didn't). I also couldn't stream MP3s using it. I will test more in a jiffy and report back Smile

Thank you very much for responding! Smile
AirPlay is known to be yerky when used from android apps (at least the apps i have seen so far are doing strange stupid things sometimes). It should work much more better when used fom iDevices...

The beta 1 ppa you have gotten ... well ... tbh i have to ask the devs ... but for me it sounds like an error ... nobody was ment to build an beta1 yet ... officially there is still no beta1 out.
Hmm, maybe I got lucky then Big Grin Or maybe it's just the graphics and it's an alpha or something...

As for the other stuff, I tried again shortly before beginning my cookies (and roasted almond and strawberry ice cream), and this time I couldn't get the AirPlay to work at all...

On the MBA, the behavior was still the same (after setting IPv6 to local only in prefs, and I seem to remember disabling it more permanently when installing MySQL or Apache, but I might be wrong...), but on my Android I couldn't stream anything... So maybe I was remembering wrong before, and only the "native" xbmc protocol worked, but I could've sworn it did... Then again, if I really am with a 11.0 beta, then it might be something different completely.

In any event, what I'm really trying to do is create a working way to stream audio to XBMC (or any other Linux-based service) on my HTPC machine from my phone and if possible from my MBA, so if the XBMC protocol works properly, I'm happy with that Smile XBMC, in any scenario, is f***ing awesome Smile I don't own any Apple devices apart from my MBA anyway, and I'm not planning on getting any, and if Kubuntu will run nicely on it, I'll shift to it ASAP. Maybe there's a pulse audio plugin enabling me to stream audio to my HTPC box... I dunno.

Cheers, and thanks for your time! Merry christmas! Smile
hi,

Little problem for me, if i play movie with external program like tmt5 and play after directly airplay file. XBMC crash...