Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Margro vs. Opdenkamp?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Maybe a stupid question but whats the main difference between these? :o
opdenkamp = me and margro = not me (but I guess you're not asking about that Tongue)

my repos contains the "official" PVR branch. margro develops and maintains the PVR add-ons for mediaportal and 4therecord, and his branch contains (updated) sources for those add-ons. since they're both still windows-only, they're not part of the official PVR branch. only add-ons that work on all platforms are included in there.
dushmaniac Wrote:opdenkamp = me and margro = not me (but I guess you're not asking about that Tongue)

my repos contains the "official" PVR branch. margro develops and maintains the PVR add-ons for mediaportal and 4therecord, and his branch contains (updated) sources for those add-ons. since they're both still windows-only, they're not part of the official PVR branch. only add-ons that work on all platforms are included in there.

Thanks for your answer, not a very well expressed question... Laugh

So I can't use your repos if I use mediaportal as backend then or have I missed something as usual? Wink

The reason I'm asking is I want to be able to control PVR from my Ipad as the latest "Constellation" app supports it.
However latest Margro release seem to lack some JSON functionality.

Maybe I just have to wait and see...
Sorry, I'm a little confused.... So you're developing XBMC with its own PVR, and he is developing XBMC with other backends?
@spitz66:
you can use my repos for mediaportal, but it contains an older implementation, which might not contain the latest fixes/changes that margro's fork has. since I'm mainly a linux user, I don't follow and test margro's branch regularly, so you'll have to ask him for details on what does and does not work.

if his fork doesn't contain the latest json changes, you'll have to ask him to rebase his patches onto the latest pvr release branch.

@bring:
not quite. they're both based on the same source (the pvr branch linked in my sig), so both are using backends. margro's branch adds two new/updated add-ons that you need to use the 4therecord backend software and possibly to use the mediaportal backend.

my branch only contains the add-ons for tvheadend, vdr, an older version of the mediaportal add-on and an outdated version of the mythtv add-on.
I see. At some point, the goal is to have that functionality without a separate backend or no?
no
Okay, thanks for all your work. I love XBMC and am looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.
bring, the aim of Margros fork is to have his own "playground" to develop new backends currently not in main repository. After a backend is finished (thus working on all supported platforms) they'll be merged/added to the main repository of dushmaniac and his fork becomes more or less obsolete.
That make things a little more clear for me.
Thanks for your good work!
bring Wrote:I see. At some point, the goal is to have that functionality without a separate backend or no?

But I think that someone could develop a pvr addon that implements/integrates the backend itself.

For example, maybe could be posible that the TVheadend was integrated within the addon simplifing therefore the activation and configuration of PVR functionality.
there already is an add-on that provides tvheadend in openelec.
"Margro vs Opdenkamp"

is that like Mothra vs Godzilla? When are you guys gonna take this fight to downtown Tokyo?
Smile When somebody pays the tickets for Tokyo... maybe... Smile

My git repo is a fork of opdenkamp for development purposes for both the MediaPortal addon and the ForTheRecord addon and for PVR related bug fixes.

My repository follows Opdenkamp closely and contains in addition the ForTheRecord addon, the MediaPortal TSReader addon and a recent version of the XVDR addon from Pipelka.

I am sending regular pull requests to Opdenkamp to merge my changes back into his repository.
Next major pull request will be the ForTheRecord addon, which is now also working on Linux and OSX.

@spitz66: The json RPC changes are already in my repo and will be included in my next build. I'm currently testing a candidate for the next build on my own HTPC so you can expect a new build in a few days.
margro Wrote:@spitz66: The json RPC changes are already in my repo and will be included in my next build. I'm currently testing a candidate for the next build on my own HTPC so you can expect a new build in a few days.

Looking forward to that!
I have used your builds for the last year or so and I must say it's getting more stable and userfriendly with each build. Nod

One question though, when I choose a channel from EPG I have to confirm if I want to switch to that channel.
For me it would be more logic to switch immediatly because i usually "zap" via EPG.
I guess it's a matter of preferance...?
Pages: 1 2