Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] Audigy 2: No sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm trying to get my audigy 2 card to work in XBMC live dharma. It is the platinum edition, but I've only installed the card and not the front panel. The onboard soundcard is a VIA8233, but the sound quality is attrocious (dialogue is almost inaudible amongst the noise) if the system sound is up past 50%, and this is too quiet even with my T40s at full volume.

aplay -l shows the Audigy 2 (emu10k1), as well as the VIA8233. I have gone into alsamixer and checked that everything is unmuted and volume is up, even things that I don't think are relevant, like microphone level etc.

I have tried putting

Code:
option snd-emu10k1 index=0
option snd-VIA82xx index=1

into alsa-base.conf (at the end) and this seems to disable the VIA chip without causing the audigy to work. I am testing by playing an mp3 using aplay. As far as I can find, there is no option to disable the onboard chip in BIOS.

To the best of my knowledge, I have followed all the advice in the Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide v0.5e

I even tried reinstalling XBMC with the card already inserted, as that has been the simplest way to solve a lot of my hardware issues in the past with XBMC.

The card came directly out of my main desktop computer, in which it has been working for almost ten years (I bought it when it first came out...for about AUD$450 Laugh). It has also worked flawlessly (apart from the front panel IIRC) in Ubuntu Maverick and Natty.

I'm hoping someone can point me to what I'm doing wrong or how this could be fixed. Thanks in advance Smile

EDIT: Oh, and if there's a fix for the VIA8233 issue, that would be even better because I actually use my Audigy all the time and will need to buy a new soundcard if I leave it in the XBMC machine. I don't hold out much hope though because the alsa website actually mentions this issue with the VIA82xx chips and doesn't offer any solutions.