Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to Use advancedsettings.xml
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have had my atv2 for a while now jailbroken and have done a lot on it, so I would no necessarily say I am a noob. I want to now try to get into more of the advanced settings, but I am not completely sure how to go about doing this. I have looked through the manual to see if it explains anything, but it really doesn't give to much in-depth description of how to do it. Is anyone willing to point me in the right direction, or give me insight on how to do this.
I also have a question about the advancedsettings. On the apple TV build, do I have to include dirty regions or will it be enabled by default?
advancedsettings.xml is pretty much for everything that is an advanced setting that doesn't have a GUI settings window. For XBMC the big things are Dirty Regions (not entirely stable on ATV2/iOS, but that's just a visual thing, so no crashes), MySQL DB sharing, storing thumbnails on another server, modifying some network setting, changing the text matching that XBMC uses to figure out episode and season numbers from file names, stuff like that. It's not really for tweaking, but rather where you would set things once you know what it is you want to set.

For example, Dirty Regions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ty_regions

MySQL DB sharing (multi-XBMC sync) (also mentions remote thumbs): http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._libraries
I'm going to bump this one more time as I do not feel my question was answered. Does the ATV2 support dirty regions? If yes does it need to be enabled via the advancedsettings or would it be set by default.

Being that all ATV2s are the same and it could indeed take advantage of the dirty regions code, I would have it being used by default (that is if there was no negative side to it[is there?])
The atv2 does support dirty regions as Ned said and it has to be enabled within the advancedsettings.xml so no it is not on by default.
(2011-12-25, 05:41)joecool71_3 Wrote: [ -> ]I have had my atv2 for a while now jailbroken and have done a lot on it, so I would no necessarily say I am a noob. I want to now try to get into more of the advanced settings, but I am not completely sure how to go about doing this. I have looked through the manual to see if it explains anything, but it really doesn't give to much in-depth description of how to do it. Is anyone willing to point me in the right direction, or give me insight on how to do this.

It's quite simple. Just create the file in your /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata folder. A SFTP program like Filezilla is the easiest way to navigate the ATV2 file system.
This is what my advancedsettings.xml looks like: (make sure you have all lower caps in the filename as it's picky about that.)

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <fanartheight>540</fanartheight>
    <thumbsize>256</thumbsize>
</advancedsettings>

I was having crashes because xbmc ran out of memory. Limiting the size of fanart and thumbnails before recreating the database made it a lot more stable. There is a lot of settings to fool around with. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...ttings.xml