Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sharing library and using different sources?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Due to an issue with playing certain MKVs over NFS on the windows version I need to try and figure a way around it.

I currently have 4 devices running XBMC. 2 ATV2s, 1 iOS device and one PC.
This PC also acts as the server, this is also the computer that is having the issues.

Currently they all share a library and a thumbnails folder. They also all access their sources from NFS.

Is it at all possible to access the files as a local drive on the PC but still have it use the same database as the other devices for shared library updates and thumbnails?

If so is it as simple as changing the sources? I would just try this but I am not sure how I would check if its working correctly.
You can switch to file mode on the PC and simply not use the library. It isn't possible to use the shared library and have the PC use a local path instead of the NFS path.

Well ... there might be hacky ways to do this. On the PC you can receive OnPlay notifications and it might be possible to inspect the path and if it's "nfs://whatever" you could stop the player then start the local path instead. I doubt this would be a great solution though.

JR
Would path substitution work in a situation like this?
i.e. Have XBMC think it's looking at the nfs share, so it gets the library information, but the path it actually uses is the local one.
What about a solution with VMware? running XBMC from within that? Is that at all a reasonable idea? If so could anyone give me some guidance.
pathsubstitution should work for this.
Would this also be a solution for using an external player with nfs share with no os level nfs client? What I mean is would it then send the local file to an external player rather than the nfs location? If so this is awesome.
Well it has worked perfectly for playing files which is really nice. However, it does not seem to work for an external player.

Thanks though I am much more satisfied now.

Just to be sure this is the correct usage?
Code:
<substitute>
  <from>nfs://192.168.1.100/Media1</from>
  <to>G:\</to>
</substitute>
Looks right.

I'm guessing the external player is sent the network path before it's "filtered" though the pathsubstitution. This is probably a situation that wasn't considered when pathsubs were expanded, so maybe the devs might be able to work something out in a future release.
Another problem I have ran into.

When I update the library from one of the ATV2s it works fine and my PC sees the update as nfs but plays it locally.
However, when I update from my PC the library was updated with the location as local causing the ATV2s not to be able to play it.
I suppose the easy solution is not updating from my computer and just use EventGhost or something to tell them to update the library.

Just thought I would mention it though.

Thanks for all the help everyone, this is significantly better.
Don't add sources to your PC as local, add them as being a network path still. Pathsubs will still make them local for the PC, but when it's recorded in the MySQL DB it will save the correct path.
I did add them as an NFS path, thats why it confused me that it added it to the library wrong, gonna play around with it a bit tomorrow.