Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do I migrate XBMC user data?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just upgraded my equipment from an AppleTV (1st gen) to a Mac Mini(2011) and I want to transfer all my library data to the Mac Mini. Don't want to have to re-scan all my videos in XBMC on the Mac Mini. Could someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks
I'm going to assume that the network paths would be the same for both machines. Just copy the ATV1's userdata folder to the Mac Mini's userdata folder.
Quote:I'm going to assume that the network paths would be the same for both machines.
Not sure what you are saying here.
Quote:Just copy the ATV1's userdata folder to the Mac Mini's userdata folder.
That definitely does not work! XBMC crashed upon startup. I edited the sources.xml file and strPath record in the video.db file. Xbmc is now able to startup and see my video files, but in library view there are no thumbs or artwork. Do I need to edit some other file to tell XBMC where the artwork is?
XBMC uses the file/network path (that thing you changed in sources.xml and the DB) to figure out what thumbs go with what.

What you could do is change the sources.xml and video DB back, and instead change the paths using pathsubs in your advancedsettings.xml file. With path subs XBMC will be tricked into thinking the paths are correct, but they are actually redirected to the correct path. Since they "use" the old path, thumbs should work again.

An example advancedsettings.xml file (file has to be created in a text editor and saved in the xbmc/userdata/ folder:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>C:\WHATEVER_OLD\PATH\IS</from>
    <to>SMB://NEW_NETWORK/PATH/</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

If you have more than one source that needs to be changed, just make another <substitute> entry within the pathsub tag.