Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC install crashes Apple TV 2 after reboot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've unlocked my apple tv2 using seas0npass, then I followed the ssh prompts posted here to install xbmc. Everything is fine until I enter the 'reboot' command. Once I do that my apple tv screen shows the itunes icon with a microUSB cord. The only way to get out of this mode is to restore it...starting the whole process over and without any XBMC. Here is my log screen right before i enter reboot, maybe I'm missing something.

Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/41.1MB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Install these packages without verification [y/N]?
E: Some packages could not be authenticated
Apple-TV:~ root#
sounds like you are doing a tethered jb.
Yes, my seas0npass jailbreak was tethered, the only jailbreak for iOS 4.4.4 is tethered. But I'm using terminal over the network to ssh the commands. Any ideas on what may be causing the problem? Is there a command prompt that will reboot without needing a restore? Or should I reboot from the actual apple tv menus?
Tethered jailbreak means that everytime the apple tv is restarted you have to plug the appletv into a computer while its at that screen you speak of and open Seas0npass and choose tethered boot. Then it should boot into the menu. You only have to do this when restart the apple tv. If you are on 4.4.2 software version you should be able to downgrade to 4.3.

First on Windows get iFaith & iReb apps. Use iFaith and backup your shsh blobs. Then open Seasonpass, right-click the dowload button and choose the 4.3 version of the sofware that is like 8FF5A or something similar. You can then open iReb and use in to enter PWNed DFU mode. Once in this mode you can use iTunes to restore the 4.3 firmware (downgrade). To do this hold down shift and click restore button. Then choose the 4.3 firmware. It should be in the Seas0n pass folder in "downloads" folder. 4.3 will get you an untethered jailbreak and you won't have to connect a PC to the apple tv everytime you reboot it.

-hogfan
Hey, lets not jump the gun here! I just got mine for xmas and have followed the directions to the letter. Do you have any advice? Did everything work for you the first time? Are you on iOS 4.4.4 too?

markelpie Wrote:I just bought my ATV2 and install XBMC, everything is fine and working. My question is how can I add ICEFILMS and other sites to my add-ons since this site are not included to the list
Thanks man! On a mac here...I'm going to try and just do the tethered reboot and see if the xbmc stays installed after I do it. I know that being on a mac probably gives me less flexibility in this situation. Thanks again.

hogfan Wrote:Tethered jailbreak means that everytime the apple tv is restarted you have to plug the appletv into a computer while its at that screen you speak of and open Seas0npass and choose tethered boot. Then it should boot into the menu. You only have to do this when restart the apple tv. If you are on 4.4.2 software version you should be able to downgrade to 4.3.

First on Windows get iFaith & iReb apps. Use iFaith and backup your shsh blobs. Then open Seasonpass, right-click the dowload button and choose the 4.3 version of the sofware that is like 8FF5A or something similar. You can then open iReb and use in to enter PWNed DFU mode. Once in this mode you can use iTunes to restore the 4.3 firmware (downgrade). To do this hold down shift and click restore button. Then choose the 4.3 firmware. It should be in the Seas0n pass folder in "downloads" folder. 4.3 will get you an untethered jailbreak and you won't have to connect a PC to the apple tv everytime you reboot it.

-hogfan
Oh man, having more problems...Started fresh, ran seas0npass, ssh right after, now this. What am I doing wrong?

Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
beigelist bsdiff com.nito.updatebegone gawk org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock
The following NEW packages will be installed:
beigelist bsdiff com.nito.updatebegone gawk org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Need to get 41.6MB of archives.
After this operation, 1384kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
Get:1 http://nitosoft.com com.nito.updatebegone 0.2-1 [2074B]
Get:2 http://apt.awkwardtv.org stable/main beigelist 2.2.1-1 [6022B]
Get:3 http://apt.saurik.com tangelo-3.7/main bsdiff 4.3-1 [6824B]
Get:4 http://apt.saurik.com tangelo-3.7/main gawk 3.1.6-2 [424kB]
Get:5 http://mirrors.xbmc.org ./ org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock 1.0-4 [2950B]
Get:6 http://mirrors.xbmc.org ./ org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 11.0-0~b1 [41.1MB]
Fetched 41.6MB in 1min 7s (618kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package bsdiff.
(Reading database ... 1273 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking bsdiff (from .../bsdiff_4.3-1_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gawk.
Unpacking gawk (from .../gawk_3.1.6-2_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package beigelist.
Unpacking beigelist (from .../beigelist_2.2.1-1_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package com.nito.updatebegone.
Unpacking com.nito.updatebegone (from .../com.nito.updatebegone_0.2-1_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock.
Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock (from .../org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock_1.0-4_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2.
Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (from .../org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-0~b1_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-0~b1_iphoneos-arm.deb (--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons/skin.confluence/media/Textures.xbt': No space left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe: 13)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-0~b1_iphoneos-arm.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Apple-TV:~ root#
Quote:failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons/skin.confluence/media/Textures.xbt': No space left on device

you need to make some space on the device - delete some stuff (never done it myself)
There's nothing installed other than seas0npass and the OS. I looked in the caches and they're empty. Could I be so bad at this that I'm the only one with this problem?
figured it out...found my solution here. Just stopped after the install and did a reboot, tethered up and now I have xbmc!
Oh boy. That old bug in Seas0nPass is back?