Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live: partitioning existing drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
Just wondering if there is a way I can partition my existing harddrive in my Acer Revo 3600 XbmcLive install.
When I did the original installation I just followed through the set up and let it partition the whole drive for XBMC.
Since then I have been using the video folder for movies.
With the upcoming release of Eden I would like to (if possible) create a new partition containing that video folder, and then leave a separate partition for the new XBMC install.
Is this possible (through terminal)?
How can I do it?
How big a partition should I use/leave for XBMC?
This is my existing fdisk -l
Code:
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00088825

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       38351   308048896   83  Linux
/dev/sda2           38351       38914     4519937    5  Extended
/dev/sda5           38351       38914     4519936   82  Linux swap / Solaris
root@XBMCLive:~#

and this is my parted /dev/sda print
Code:
parted /dev/sda print
Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54503 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
1      1049kB  315GB  315GB   primary   ext4            boot
2      315GB   320GB  4628MB  extended
5      315GB   320GB  4628MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Thanks in advance.
Justin
boot from a linux live CD/USB(not xbmc live) and use gparted to resize. For a resize to work you need at least twice the free space as the size of the new partition you want to create. If you have an external drive where you can copy your video folder to temporarily, you won't need the double free space.

I really recommend getting an external drive(maybe borrow one if needed) to backup the video folder and other important data.

do not use fdisk if you don't know exactly what you are doing as you will probably wipe your install.
Here's what you need, bootable partition management (boots stripped Linux OS with complete GUI).

And aye, a backup is always good, either a file backup or a cloned image of the drive.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I will probably take your advice and just back up the files when I install Eden and then set the partitions up differently then.
Actually I might have another go at installing to an SD card again, then just use the folder as a source and leave the old install in place while debugging....