Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unwanted subtitles from AVI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have some AVI files which have embedded subtitles.

And XMBC now forces me to watch the AVI complete with unwanted subtitles.

If I play the AVI's in any other media player no problem, no subtitles (unless I specifically turn them on).

I checked the wiki and apparently embedded AVI subtitles are not supported by XBMC.

So how do I get rid of the subtitles I'm seeing.
I have the same problem, but have seen it with mp4, mkv as well as avi. It also occurs whether the subtitles are embedded or in subtitles folder. The mp4 gave me French subtitles, the others gave me English. If I change the settings in the subtitles menu to move the subtitles, they do in fact move, so they are being generated by XBMC and not intrinsic to the video. This is also demonstrated by the fact that they do not appear if the file is viewed in VLC, WMP or WMC.

Most frustrating. I am running 11.0 but also had the problem on 10.1 (in fact I upgraded in the hope it would fix the problem.
I take it you've turned allow subtitles off in XBMC. I do not have avi's but a lot of my mkv files have subtitles and they don't show unless I turn them on.
I can't control subtitles in MKV files either. Totem allows me to turn them off even if they are wrong, but the audio sucks. At least VLC works, but the audio sucks too. What a waste. I regret upgrading my hardware.
embedded subtitles can be turned off. If they are hardcoded, you are are obviously out of luck.
Clearly you missed what the wiki says entirely Subtitles (wiki) says right on top of page (the very first paragraph:

XBMC wiki Subtitles page Wrote:XBMC supports both stand-alone subtitle and embedded subtitles. Most major subtitle formats are supported. XBMC can also search and download subtitles directly from full screen playback

It also further tells you what to do to enable /disable subs in various portions of xbmc.

However forced subs or hardcoded subs cannot be disabled by XBMC You can on forced subs set as non forced and remux -- and hardcoded subs are burn it and cannot be removed by any means.
Press t on a keyboard, or the button mapped to t on your remote.

Or press OK on the remote while playing a movie and navigate to the audio icon, click it and adjust subtitles there, and if wanted save as default (right at the foot of the dialog)

@uni they are not hard coded because other software can turn them on and off.
@nickr Stop hitting the kegs Tongue its too early. Smile