Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc to unpack a big file. Why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi there.

I have a question. All of My movies are in rar format. Most of them just plays fine.

But sometimes xbmc Needs to unpack them, i get a popup "xbmc Needs to unpack à big file, continue?

This has always happening When i press play, But today i came up during startup library Scan.

My question is why som files needs to unpack and some dont.. They look the same to me..

Info:
Win 7
Eden beta
Mkv in rar.
because those rars are compressed/packed. just as it says.
The ones that work are packed in a rar without compression, the others, there was compression used.
Quote:All of My movies are in rar format.

deargod, why?? You know it doesn't save any space, right? If it's just to re-share them, just repeat to yourself "pirates in old'en days don't share, arrrrrr"
Ned Scott Wrote:deargod, why?? You know it doesn't save any space, right? If it's just to re-share them, just repeat to yourself "pirates in old'en days don't share, arrrrrr"

Because i dont want to manually unrar them. Can This be done auto?
Ned Scott Wrote:deargod, why?? You know it doesn't save any space, right? If it's just to re-share them, just repeat to yourself "pirates in old'en days don't share, arrrrrr"

I have never understood why people have rared movies/tvshows.
There is no point in that.
Martijn Wrote:I have never understood why people have rared movies/tvshows.

It's to get past upload file size limits. You can also use multi-part rar's as a fix for HDDs that have old formats and limit file sizes.
Martijn Wrote:I have never understood why people have rared movies/tvshows.

So do you unrar everything? Manually?
Barbastark Wrote:Because i dont want to manually unrar them. Can This be done auto?

Sure, there are ways to do the process in a batch. Years ago I used a program called autounpack that automated a lot of it.

And agreed with the others, I wouldn't leave the files in rar.
Barbastark Wrote:So do you unrar everything? Manually?

It can be automated.
gabbott Wrote:It can be automated.

How?
Barbastark Wrote:How?

Look at my previous post, I gave one example.
sorttv is another example. Sickbeard is also very good and I assume that if you google you torrent client + unrar you will get a method to post process the files.
EDIT Nevermind...
No need to unrar your movies as long as they're stored uncompressed. If you have movies stored in .rar compressed, then yes, unrar them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4