Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Installing Add-ons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I've searched the web and followed all instructions but i can't get BBC iPlayer & TV Catch-Up (UK) to install.

I have a iBook 1.33 PPC 1GB running Leopard 10.5.8

So far I've downloaded the zip file for iPlayer & Tv Catch-Up

Opened XBMC>Videos>Add Source>Browse>I follow the path to plugin.video.iplayer and at this point the path carries on to>lib/resources so i just click OK on the plugin.video.iplayer then on the Set content page i click OK and it adds the plugin to my list but it doesn't launch I just get the path again which i know is wrong.

I'm obviously doing something wrong but please be gentle with me as i've only started using XBMC today.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kind regards
Chinaski
OK. I've changed my settings in Safari so it doesn't unzip the file as i thought this might be the problem. So i go to install from Zip file, follow the path to the zipped file but when i select it the whole path just disapears and I'm back to the install from zip file menu.

Please can someone help, i've tried for hours searching and trying to get this to install.

Anyone help?

Chinaski
OK i'm pasting the debug log now. I am well out of my depth here and I've no idea even if this means anything to anyone. Off to put my head in the gas oven.

Hope someone can help me get this iPlayer to install.

edit:deleted logfile
use pastebin.com for logs please
Sorry Admin, i'm new to this as you can tell.

Is this correct?

http://pastebin.com/ycUSqjJE
getting closer! Debugging needs to be turned on

System/Settings -> System -> Debugging -> Enable debug loggin
I've found that the easiest way to install add ons and get them working is to allow Safari to unzip the file, then drag it directly into the add ons folder of XBMC.

If you know how to get to it then fine, but just in case you don't it's in Library/application support/XBMC/addons. You'll need to restart XBMC after dragging the folder in. This is how I always do things and it works every time.
Hi Thanks for the reply.

OK i've Enabled debugging and I presume the text i have at the top left of the screen is just that (how do I hide it?).

I've downloaded the iPlayer Zip folder again and created a new path in my Finder as i've read this so i thought i'd try it. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Library>Application Support>XBMC>plugins>video>iplayer-v2.4.13.zip

So I've gone through the steps again Videos>Add Source>Browse but now when I follow the above path in XBMC it's not there, but it is in my Finder.

I did earlier find it in another path but along side it it just had a speaker icon and when I selected it and clicked OK it just disappears.

Somehow I've managed to get 'iPlayer' in my list but I know it's wrong as nothing has downloaded and it just shows what is actually in the file i.e. Path not found.

I'm also getting a message popping up saying 'Could not download information, Unable to connect to remote server, would you like to continue scanning? I have no idea what this is.

OK so i've put a link to the debug log, I've tried to put everything i can so someone can help. Off to take some Valium ;-)

http://pastebin.com/sefk4HV8
Whoopee Dooo! I have no idea how I've done it but it's on there just as i was going to put my head in the gas oven. Thank you all you guys for your help.

Now I can move on to the next problem....only joking. I'm sure i'll have many more but loving learning all this stuff

Thanks
Chinaski
Grumpy1954 Wrote:I've found that the easiest way to install add ons and get them working is to allow Safari to unzip the file, then drag it directly into the add ons folder of XBMC.

If you know how to get to it then fine, but just in case you don't it's in Library/application support/XBMC/addons. You'll need to restart XBMC after dragging the folder in. This is how I always do things and it works every time.

Not really advisable to do as the first try, since then XBMC won't check and install anything that the add-on might need. For example, some add-ons need another add-on to work correctly, and when you "install from zip" XBMC will check and install those add-ons automatically. Probably not an issue for most add-ons, but just something to keep in mind. Especially since more add-ons seem to be moving to using shared modules.

But yeah, if it doesn't work you can always use that as a way to "force" installation and see if it works.
Ned Scott Wrote:Not really advisable to do as the first try, since then XBMC won't check and install anything that the add-on might need. For example, some add-ons need another add-on to work correctly, and when you "install from zip" XBMC will check and install those add-ons automatically. Probably not an issue for most add-ons, but just something to keep in mind. Especially since more add-ons seem to be moving to using shared modules.

Ok learnt something there then, as I'd no idea that that was the case. I started using the drag into the add ons folder method when one add-on resolutely refused to install from the zip file, for whatever reason, and simply carried on as it seemed to be easier.
China5ki Wrote:I'm also getting a message popping up saying 'Could not download information, Unable to connect to remote server, would you like to continue scanning? I have no idea what this is.
http://pastebin.com/sefk4HV8

This message has also been seen in connection with various other add-ons. The suggested solution is to tell the router/firewall to allow XBMC to contact the outside world, something that was not previously necessary under Dharma. I tried it and it seems to have made the difference, although others have reported no success and they are still seeing the error message. Should also add that those with far more expertise than me have said that it's nothing to do with the router. I am certainly not in a position to comment one way or the other. All I know is that prior to opening the router I had a problem, now that problem has gone.