Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI "out of the box" with Microserver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere.

I've just ordered a hp microserver to run XBMC on. I will start with XBMC live and then install it to the hard drive.
I've got an nVidia 520 card which I'm going to stick in the microserver.

My question is, if I create an XMBC-live usb stick on my netbook, can I then boot straight to that from using the HDMI from the graphics card and my TV, or am I going to need to hook up a PC monitor to configure it all etc to get the graphics drivers working?

I guess the first issue I will encounter is that I will probably need to get into the BIOS to enable booting from USB... Will I be able to view this with the HDMI, or will I need a VGA connection to see BIOS properly...?

I'm fairly happy messing around with linux, but am quite new to graphics& HD stuff... Confused
Video over HDMI on nVidia should work out of the box. Just make sure that you enable PEG initialization first in the BIOS as well as boot from USB. After that you should just have to connect an HDMI cable between the Microserver and your television and turn both on.
just one thing - is the 520 compatible with the microserver

When I was looking at graphics cards you had to be careful which one would be compatible with the microserver due to something to do with the power draw of the graphics cards

Currently have a microserver with HDMI on an nvidia G210 (nvidia is better under linux apparently)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114745

Working fine - took a bit of messing getting sound but all sweet now
I can't tell you whether the 520 will work in the Microserver or not. You'll have to investigate the PSU and what it can handle. That's really not an XBMC question.
Tododo - I've read forum posts elsewhere from people who have used 520s. (I made sure I got the exact same version that someone else had had success with just to be sure!) Apparently its a maximum power draw of 30w.

I guess the question I was trying to ask is: Does XBMC Live support nVIDIA drivers out of the box? At present I dont have any VGA cables in the house so was hoping to just plug everthing in and go for it with the HDMI.

My Microserver arrived last night & I got all the hardware setup. However as Pumkinut point out I need to tweak the BIOS to boot from USB & for that I need to be able to see what I'm doing.... Should just have bought a VGA cable to begin with. Sad
Just try with the hdmi cable. Configuring bios is os independent, it should just work. And xbmc-live does support nvidia drivers out of the box, but you may need to upgrade those drivers to support newer video cards.
stringy Wrote:Tododo - I've read forum posts elsewhere from people who have used 520s. (I made sure I got the exact same version that someone else had had success with just to be sure!) Apparently its a maximum power draw of 30w.

I guess the question I was trying to ask is: Does XBMC Live support nVIDIA drivers out of the box? At present I dont have any VGA cables in the house so was hoping to just plug everthing in and go for it with the HDMI.

My Microserver arrived last night & I got all the hardware setup. However as Pumkinut point out I need to tweak the BIOS to boot from USB & for that I need to be able to see what I'm doing.... Should just have bought a VGA cable to begin with. Sad

The "question you were trying to ask" was answered in my originally response. HDMI will work out of the box. If it doesn't, you have a hardware problem, gg reading comprehension
sorry Pumkinut, turns out i cant read... Confused
tododo Wrote:just one thing - is the 520 compatible with the microserver

When I was looking at graphics cards you had to be careful which one would be compatible with the microserver due to something to do with the power draw of the graphics cards

Currently have a microserver with HDMI on an nvidia G210 (nvidia is better under linux apparently)

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114745

Working fine - took a bit of messing getting sound but all sweet now

Microserver is fine with a GT430 and 6 3.5 inch hard drives in with 5 in RAID config and 1 as boot....and thus is definately fine with a GT520 in any config.
pumkinut Wrote:The "question you were trying to ask" was answered in my originally response. HDMI will work out of the box. If it doesn't, you have a hardware problem, gg reading comprehension

Pretty sure it won't work out the box as you will need much newer nvidia drivers than are supplied on the Live release. My GT430 which is an older card, definately doesn't work "out the box" and needs newer drivers.
stringy Wrote:Tododo - I've read forum posts elsewhere from people who have used 520s. (I made sure I got the exact same version that someone else had had success with just to be sure!) Apparently its a maximum power draw of 30w.

Yes you can see bios with HDMI from ANY graphics card of course, it's not driver dependent. So you can set whatever. You can install ubuntu too but once installed and when it boots you may have a blank screen. You will need to make sure to chose "OpenSSH" when installing it and use something like PuTTy to install the relevent drivers.

Very simple bit of a search should turn up neccasary commands.