Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple TV 1G Help - LINUX Vs OSX Vs ATVFLASH??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I've used XBMC in a windows environment before and have just recently decided to try my hands at setting it up on an original AppleTV (160GB). I've been reading all kinds of posts, doing my research, and I'm just not sure what method to use. I was hoping that I could list some of the things I'm hoping to use this for and some of you experienced modders can help a guy out? That way I can focus my attention at trying one method and not getting too overwhelmed?

- I've ordered the Broadcom Crystal HD BMC70015 to help with HD files? (will install when it arrives)
- I was hoping to add a USB bluetooth dongle and use my ps3 remote for navigation or maybe a Wii-mote? (from my web searches, there is limited success with this?)
- I want to stream some content from a NAS (Dlink DNS-323)
- I want to stream some content from my PC (Win 7)
- I want to stream some content from my MAC (music mostly)
- I want to watch some content from a portable HDD and possibly store some on the AppleTV HDD.
- I want to be able to add BOXEE and IceFilms and all other streaming plug-ins...
- I'd like to have it autoload XBMC on start-up. (I think this can be accomplished with scripting though?)

- I'd like to purchase the CEC adapter and have it work with my TV. (I'm not sure if there are compatablility issues, or if it works on all platforms?)

- I'd like to store my XBMC library on the apple TV HDD, so that all the show/movie info still shows up when my PC/Mac is turned off. (In other words, I don't want to run a media server off my computer)

- Also, Is it possible to leave the AppleTV functions intact? My room-mate has a moral opposition to watching content that he hasn't paid for and wants to be able to rent/pay for movies/TV from apple?

So with all that said.... I'm curious if anyone can offer up some suggestions as to which method I should move forward with?

Any help/suggestions would be truly appreciated! :confused2:
You want Crystalbuntu. There's a way to dual boot it so you have the original ATV OS too, but I'll have to dig up that link.

It should do everything on your list, but I'll dive deeper a little later on (posting from my phone right now)
Thanks Ned, that gives me a little more narrow field to research. I would love any links you might have or suggestions as to which build to use (I'm just assumigng there are a zillion?) I'm pretty busy at work and will try to delve into the crystalbuntu install/walkthru over the weekend. Other than the dualboot, are there any specific reasons why you recommend crystalubuntu for my setup?