Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problem with WMC remote "Stop" and displayremotecodes problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason, my Eden Beta 1 is not responding to a WMC remote's "Stop" command. I know the remote is properly sending it, as I can see it in eventghost, and other apps respond to it properly.

While trying to debug, I attempted to use the displayremotecodes setting in advancedsettings.xml, but I don't see anything when I press any buttons. I'm using the default confluence skin.

Here's my advancedsettings.xml...anybody have ideas?

<advancedsettings>
<displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
<videoextensions>
<add>.html</add>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

(By the way, I've tried both "displayremotecodes" and "displayremotecode"...the wiki shows it both ways in 2 different spots, but neither seem to work for me.)
The displayremotecodes setting only applies (applied) to XBoxes. Really that bit of the documentation ought to be changed now the XBox is no longer supported (here).

If you enable debug logging XBMC will show any keypresses received in the log. For example with my cheapo MCE remote that sends ctrl-shift-S for Stop I get:

DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: ctrl-shift-s (3f053) pressed, action is Stop

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The displayremotecodes setting only applies (applied) to XBoxes. Really that bit of the documentation ought to be changed now the XBox is no longer supported (here).

If you enable debug logging XBMC will show any keypresses received in the log. For example with my cheapo MCE remote that sends ctrl-shift-S for Stop I get:

DEBUG: CApplication::OnKey: ctrl-shift-s (3f053) pressed, action is Stop

JR

Ah! The displayremotecodes answer makes me feel better, like I'm not being THAT dense...

In the log, I see keypresses for items that are registered/recognized by XBMC, but I don't get a log entry when I press the stop key. I could reprogram the remote to send an "X" for the stop key, which would work in XBMC...but then it would no longer work for all the other applications that respond to a WMC "Stop" command.

So what I'm TRYING to do is figure out what keycode XBMC would recognize when that WMC stop command is sent, and edit the keymap.xml to add that...but since the displayremotecodes doesn't work, and the log file output doesn't show anything for that button, any other ideas on how to figure out the keycode? EventGhost shows it as HID.Button.1+25+132+15+128+32+128+250+255+255
But I'm pretty certain that's not the format that XBMC expects.
OK, so I have "solved" this with eventghost. Whenever I get a WMC "Stop" command, I look for the XBMC window. If it exists, I send it an "x". Which totally works.

I'm still curious to know why XBMC Eden Beta 1 isn't responding to a "Native" WMC Stop though. Is nobody else having this issue?
In Windows there is no standard interface for remote controls, so they usually work by sending emulated keypresses or APPCOMMAND messages. XBMC responds to both types of input. There is a class of remotes known as eHome or RC6 remotes that work differently and need the application using them to support an input method called RAWINPUT. The Microsoft remote and it's many clones fall into this class. XBMC doesn't support RAWINPUT, so for XBMC it's usual to configure the ehome remotes to send the Windows Media Center keypresses. This means the remote will work with both XBMC and Media Center.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for more on eHome remotes.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC for general comments on how remotes work with XBMC.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:In Windows there is no standard interface for remote controls, so they usually work by sending emulated keypresses or APPCOMMAND messages. XBMC responds to both types of input. There is a class of remotes known as eHome or RC6 remotes that work differently and need the application using them to support an input method called RAWINPUT. The Microsoft remote and it's many clones fall into this class. XBMC doesn't support RAWINPUT, so for XBMC it's usual to configure the ehome remotes to send the Windows Media Center keypresses. This means the remote will work with both XBMC and Media Center.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for more on eHome remotes.

See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC for general comments on how remotes work with XBMC.

JR

That's the nicest way of saying "RTFM" that I've seen in a while. Smile

The part that's confusing me though, is that while I am using the eHome driver, XBMC is responding to all the other expected WMC inputs...just not stop. From that first link you sent, it says this:

Quote:Any version of Windows from Windows XP onwards will automatically detect and install a Microsoft remote as soon as you connect it. With versions of XBMC from v10.0 Dharma onwards most of the buttons on the Microsoft remote will work immediately. The exceptions I know about are:
The Info button; sometimes labelled More or just i.
The volume buttons will control the Windows volume setting not the XBMC volume
The four coloured buttons (not all MS remotes have these) won't do anything
With Vista/Windows 7 the Live TV, Recorded TV and Guide buttons will start Windows Media Center. With Windows XP (non-Media Center Edition) these buttons won't do anything
The Green/Windows button will start Windows Media Center
For most people this will be fine, and in that case you don't need to do anything further. The only reason for continuing with this article is if you want to customise the Microsoft remote to change the actions of any of the buttons or to make the Info and coloured buttons work.

So that's mostly my experience...all the "Standard" buttons work just fine, just not "Stop." That's what I'm trying to figure out.
That does seem odd, but without having your remote here to test I can't really comment. With eHome remotes I would use the MCERemote add-on or EliteGamer360's scripts to configure the remote. That removes any ambiguity and avoids the need for extra apps like Eventghost.

JR
Anyone know if there's a fix coming for this? Like Jason G I've noticed that Eden no longer supports the standard STOP button from a regular MCE remote. I don't want to change the remote to emulate keypresses as this, imo, just complicates the installation.

When can we expect to have this functionality returned as it worked fine pre-Eden.

Thanks!
We need to see what signal the stop button is sending to XBMC. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Now press the stop button three times, then immediately close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.
same here. just installed frodo. i'm using a harmony remote. all the mce remote keys work except stop.
I am using a Harmony 700 and HP receiver (might be fake, ebayed, works well otherwise) and my stop button also does not work with xbmc. I even manually edited the functions using the Harmony guide on this forum specific for xbmc (add mce remote and kb settings) - with my stop button now sending X, it only works if I mash it a few times and kinda get it at the right moment. Interesting that others are having the same problem. It isn't a show stopper (lol) but a mild annoyance in an otherwise flawless experience. Using latest stable Eden build.
Unfortunately, there's nothing in the log for the keypresses. Only recognized keypresses are logged, nothing ends up in the log for the 3 stop button presses.

(2012-05-21, 12:02)jhsrennie Wrote: [ -> ]We need to see what signal the stop button is sending to XBMC. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC then wait a minute or two for all the startup tasks to finish. Now press the stop button three times, then immediately close XBMC.

Open the debug log by pressing Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

Code:
"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into http://pastebin.com/ and post the link it gives you here.
I installed 12.3 from 12.1 this week and my stop button stopped working. I have a harmony remote. This remote has worked for over a year just fine. For me it was the 12.3 install that broke the stop button.