Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: aim of xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello all.

i have one question, which may seems stupid, but i'll ask. On xbmc site i've read this :
Quote: The XBMC interface is designed with the 'Home Theater' in mind. This means it is best viewed on a large-screen TV while you sit on your couch 10-feet away from that TV, rather than on a small monitor while you sit at your desk.

As i see, xbmc software was developed for running on big TVs, not on PC monitors. If so, i dont understand how to run this soft on TV. I know only one way - send image from PC videocard to TV using wire (HDMI cable for example). In this case we get a PC with big TV in role of monitor.Am i right or i dont understand something?
Right.
thx. and one more question: may TV pult be used for remote control of xbmc?
You're quite right Borune. You'll find that 'Acer Revo' mini computers are very popular for running XBMC on big TVs:

http://www.ebuyer.com/279898-acer-aspire...-semec-036

They're relatively cheap, quiet, small (can be mounted on the back of TVs), have an HDMI output and the graphics are more than powerful enough to handle HD video.

I don't work for Acer... I just have one myself and love it!
borune Wrote:thx. and one more question: may TV pult be used for remote control of xbmc?
I think this is a typo.

But I think you are asking about remotes and XBMC on a small HTPC attached to your TV. There are lots of cheap, popular Windows MCE remotes that work with a USB connected IR reciever for this purpose. These may be designed with Windows Media Center in mind but are usually also compatible with various Linux OS's that people also run XBMC-optimized HTPC's with. Some folks also like various mini-keyboard devices.

I use both, basically my Harmony master remote which is also programmed to mimic a Windows MCE remote as well as remotes for the rest of my entertainment equipment - for watching and getting around in XBMC and a mini keyboard for instances where I'm installing software or doing "computery" stuff as part of setting up XBMC. You could do the same thing with a cheap wired USB keyboard temproarily hooked up to the HTPC but the mini remote keyboard lets you do that stuff from the couch. For everyday veiwing however a MCE remote or Harmony pretending to be one is all you need.
Using the PulseEight CEC-Adapter you can controll XBMC using your TVs remote (a TV supporting CEC is needed though, but most modern TVs do IIRC) - no special remote needed. You could also buy/use the Nyxboard if you like to have a compact remote with keyboard keys and don't like to use the on-screen-keyboard.
thanks guys