Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movie/Series Database cleared
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I have a HTPC in my living room, and a NAS where I keep the movies in another room. I have added the "Movies" source, where I keep all the movies, and the "TV series", and after waiting for the scrapers to do their magic (and entering manually some titles) all works perfect, and XBMC looks awesome.

The problem is that sometimes I switch off the NAS, or the router, and if by mistake I switch on the HTPC, XBMC doesn't find the directories and clears movie database, having to do the process again!

I think that this is not a bug, but the "normal" behaviour of XBMC, but I think it should be fixed, because NET connections are easily "lost" (router/switch/cable errors), and having to reconfigure all the sources again it's a bit of pain...

Do you know if there is any workaround for this?

thank you

aLeX

P.D: Fortunately last week I made a backup of the database files, but this is not the first time it happened to me, and sure it won't be the last.
Strange..
XBMC is installed locally on the HTPC (windows7?) so that UserData is stored locally, not behind SMB Share on the NAS? Have you tried to run Xbmc portable (xbmc.exe -p).

Have you created map-drive to NAS, like S:\ on windows and does your Source mapping utilize this? Prefered way is to use smb://user:pass@server/folder in sources.xml

I have same setUp, but never have I had such problem. Using Eden Beta1 on Win7_64
My XBMC is installed locally in the HD. Also, I have a partition for binaries and another for configuration and database. Same version of XBMC, but with WinXP.

I have the sources mapped as a drive in windows (Y:\). However, I don't remember if I added as smb in XBMC.

Notice that the problem is that when NAS is not accessible (eg: shut down) the media doesn't appear (and that's normal), but when I reconnect again it doesn't appear again. If you want do this test and check out if the Movies and TV series section reappears.

I think the problem is that as XBMC doesn't find the files, it clears them from the DB, but... also the "sources"? I think it should act smarter and know that a net directory can sometimes be unreachable.
That's because you probably have the option 'clean database on start-up' enabled.
Yes, I used to have that option, but now I don't see it in the Configuration/Video/Library.

Also... I would like to leave this setting enabled, because if I delete movies in the server, they should be deleted in the database also. Otherwise, I will have to clear manually all the files that I delete or rename from the PC.

Also... at least, when I reconnect the NAS it should detect it and add again the files, but the fact is that, apart from the movies, it has deleted the sources.

For me, this is not a bug, but a behaviour that should be changed. May I post a Feature Suggestion? Tought it's not a feature...

aLeX
Scandermore Wrote:Yes, I used to have that option, but now I don't see it in the Configuration/Video/Library.

Also... I would like to leave this setting enabled, because if I delete movies in the server, they should be deleted in the database also. Otherwise, I will have to clear manually all the files that I delete or rename from the PC.

Also... at least, when I reconnect the NAS it should detect it and add again the files, but the fact is that, apart from the movies, it has deleted the sources.

For me, this is not a bug, but a behaviour that should be changed. May I post a Feature Suggestion? Tought it's not a feature...

aLeX

Won't make it into Eden probably but you can always do a request
(use forum user/password)
http://trac.xbmc.org
Scandermore Wrote:Also... at least, when I reconnect the NAS it should detect it and add again the files, but the fact is that, apart from the movies, it has deleted the sources.

I do have my media on an external source as well (an unRAID server and a NAS to be precise) and I have to say that in my case the sources don't get deleted if one of the servers isn't available.

That said I don't have automatic database cleanup (exactly for the reason you mentioned - files that still exist but aren't available at the time get removed from the DB), but if I manually clean up while a server is detached and then refresh the DB once the files are available they get rescraped from the source - the source is persistent even though it might not be available.

I am using SMB sources in XBMC, not mapped drives. I would also strongly recommend against mapping the network drives in Windows and then adding these as file system sources since windows network mappings CAN disappear on occasion.
I'll try to disable the automatic database cleanup, but... where is it? In older versions I remember changing it, but I have checked all the settings and I don't find it anywhere!

Anyway... I think the behaviour should change, and automatic cleanup should not affect a movie with a disconnected smb source...

Thanx!

aLeX