Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SLOW screen response on new install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay... I had done an install using OpenELEC, and XBMC was working fine, quick video response, etc.

I just killed that install and did a new install off of the Live CD, and now screen/mouse response is crawling!

I was able to slowly get into system config and in the video section it shows my resolution at 1680x1050, but the refresh rate shows 0.00 and won't let me change it.

What is going on? Help Smile
Aynone? Eek
What gfx chipset are you running? If you are using ATI, I suggest you go to this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
It's a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard with an I3-2100 CPU with built in video.
When you say you're installing off of a Live CD do you mean Dharma or Eden Beta via something like XBMCFreak's Live CD? Dharma, AFAIK, doesn't allow for GPU acceleration using VAAPI, which you would need for your build. You'd have to either kludge together some patches or use alanwww1's AWESOME GUIDE to fully utilize your hardware. An XBMCFreak Live beta build, I think, has VAAPI support compiled in as well.
Interesting... OpenElec worked fine on this machine.

I downloaded the Live version from http://xbmc.org/download/ , so I would assume that is 10.1 "Dharma".

You are saying that won't work properly on this hardware? Odd that OpenElec did.
openelec builds for the specific hardware. XBMC.live is so old that it does not have vaapi support enabled.

Look at the guide for intel from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114368
mnapuran Wrote:You are saying that won't work properly on this hardware? Odd that OpenElec did.
No, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Dharma won't use your hardware as effectively as it could. A vanilla Dharma build does not incorporate newer drivers and built in software that would allow for GPU assisted video on the IGP of the i3 2100 processor that you're using.

As wsnipex stated, Openelec builds in specific hardware support. If you look at the guide that both of us linked to, you'll see how to build Eden that will allow you to fully use the Intel hardware. I used alanwww1's guild for my new Biostar TH61 motherboard + i3 2100 CPU, and it's running great.
pumkinut Wrote:No, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that Dharma won't use your hardware as effectively as it could. A vanilla Dharma build does not incorporate newer drivers and built in software that would allow for GPU assisted video on the IGP of the i3 2100 processor that you're using.

As wsnipex stated, Openelec builds in specific hardware support. If you look at the guide that both of us linked to, you'll see how to build Eden that will allow you to fully use the Intel hardware. I used alanwww1's guild for my new Biostar TH61 motherboard + i3 2100 CPU, and it's running great.

Thanks... you'll love this though.

I spent today (when I had time) downloading the ISO per the instructions at that link, and doing a clean install on the system using it. Install went perfect.

However, on the first clean reboot after installation, I just get a "Loading Operating System..." and that's it. No HD activity and no movement after that.

Lame Confused
Interesting.. just put the USB stick back in the machine, and now it boots off the HD. Something odd with the partitionsHuh Any ideas how to fix?
Most likely when you performed the Oneiric install it wrote GRUB to the MBR of the thumbdrive. Mine did that the first time as well. What you'll need to do is one of two things:

1)Boot to a live Linux CD, Ubuntu will work and open up a terminal. Issue the following command:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

You should see at least two entries, one for the thumbdrive and one for your hard drive. You should know the size of each as well. You'll then need to issue the following:
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/XXX
Where "XXX" is your hard drive. I'll most likely be sda or sdb, go with whatever the fdisk command output. This will install GRUB to the MBR of the hard disk rather than the thumbdrive.

2)I'm not sure if this will work, but it should. Once booted into XBMC with the thrumbdrive in the USB port, press CTRL+ALT+F2 to get to a terminal. Perform the two commands above to write GRUB to the MBR of the HDD.

As I said, number 2 should work, I've just never tried it.

During the Oneiric mini install, the first time I went through it it wrote GRUB to the thrumbdrive like it did with yours. The second time I performed the install, I stopped the install at the bootloader installation and forced it to use the HDD.
Thanks for the feedback... but I was wrong. I put the USB stick in, and it started to boot, but never did. Just came up with the Ubuntu screen, but sat there after that. Rolleyes