Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
OK everyone - here is what I did
System> Video>Playback
Turn off both "Allow hardware acceleration (V****)" strings.
This fixed back screen with audio issue.
I use an 4 years old Sony laptop with Nvidia video on top of standard Ubuntu 1204 install. I had to turn off composite in xorg.conf and install latest nvidia drivers to get out of this thing decent working.
(2012-06-08, 08:05)deckoff Wrote: [ -> ]OK everyone - here is what I did
System> Video>Playback
Turn off both "Allow hardware acceleration (V****)" strings.

So you're running without hardware acceleration? I'm surprised you can get x264 encoded files to play smoothly.

(2012-05-30, 22:34)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-30, 22:24)OwlBoy Wrote: [ -> ]This thread has been around for four months now. Why?!

I'm not sure what you're asking. Thread is around because the problem is largely unresolved. Am I misunderstanding?

I am asking why it seems this issue is being ignored. Xbmcbuntu appears to just Be flat out broken on many systems despite the betas right before release being fine.
(2012-06-16, 00:07)OwlBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I am asking why it seems this issue is being ignored. Xbmcbuntu appears to just Be flat out broken on many systems despite the betas right before release being fine.

Ah, I see and couldn't agree more. I does seem odd to see so many people experiencing the same problem.

(2012-06-16, 00:10)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-06-16, 00:07)OwlBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I am asking why it seems this issue is being ignored. Xbmcbuntu appears to just Be flat out broken on many systems despite the betas right before release being fine.

Ah, I see and couldn't agree more. I does seem odd to see so many people experiencing the same problem.

I assume maybe the April or may cycles have fixed it, but they don't do Xbmcbuntu builds of those. Let alone Linux ones. Such a pain in the ass. And if I am wrong and there is a fix I missed in this thread or elsewhere, can someone please spell out the steps in plain English to fix this? (and no Turing off acceleration or pausing for 10 seconds before hitting enter on a video).
(2012-06-16, 00:17)OwlBoy Wrote: [ -> ]... Let alone Linux ones. Such a pain in the ass. ...

I agree. Can some of the developers please tell us why? I can't believe Linux isn't used as the primary MediaCenter-OS. Just compare the boot-times Windows vs. LINUX.

Using Windows only for MC? Its like driving in the motorboat ... from the kitchen to the livingroom. Wink

The topic is being treated like an orphan Sad
This is not just a simple fix. I have been working on improvements for Linux for more than a year. This includes the problem mentioned as well as e.g. fixing multi-screen setups. Approximately 10.000 new lines of code waiting for review. Give it a little time for testing.
wsnipex has enabled vdpau in the XvBA testing repo, You can try this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996

Or check out: http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en

(2012-06-16, 00:07)OwlBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-30, 22:34)rcrh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-30, 22:24)OwlBoy Wrote: [ -> ]This thread has been around for four months now. Why?!

I'm not sure what you're asking. Thread is around because the problem is largely unresolved. Am I misunderstanding?

I am asking why it seems this issue is being ignored. Xbmcbuntu appears to just Be flat out broken on many systems despite the betas right before release being fine.

I agree also. I have brought this up in a couple of threads and it it doesn't seem like they are worrying about Linux users. I have only seen work done on Windows.. What a shame..
BORIStheBLADE, your last comment really sucks. I have no problem with someone complaining about thinks not working. I have given you an update on the work being done on this. Please be so polite and don't just ignore my comment.
I can't believe how Linux users with no understanding of how to use Linux are getting so shafted here - I mean with the hefty price paid for the software and the enormous development staff behind XBMC raking in the bucks, I would have expected an immediate fix.

If you don't know how to update or package up some of the alternative builds and distros, then the Windows platform is likely best for you. Don't give the devs a hard time because there isn't a simple solution for you here as they work hard for us to enjoy a kick ass platform that many of us use every day and pay nothing for.

Fernet - keep up the awesome work, and we look forward to the fix being merged into a stable or beta build when available.
(2012-06-16, 18:54)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]BORIStheBLADE, your last comment really sucks. I have no problem with someone complaining about thinks not working. I have given you an update on the work being done on this. Please be so polite and don't just ignore my comment.

I read your post and I have used the XBMCfreaks software. My comments are directed towards the original XBMC software.... If I had issues with XBMCfreaks or OPENelec then I would mention those names. Plus I would bring up support issues for those other branches in their own forums.

I don't understand why you can get mad about my comment. It wasn't directed towards you and your work, it was directed toward the regular XBMC software.
(2012-06-16, 20:27)deepblue Wrote: [ -> ]I can't believe how Linux users with no understanding of how to use Linux are getting so shafted here - I mean with the hefty price paid for the software and the enormous development staff behind XBMC raking in the bucks, I would have expected an immediate fix.

If you don't know how to update or package up some of the alternative builds and distros, then the Windows platform is likely best for you. Don't give the devs a hard time because there isn't a simple solution for you here as they work hard for us to enjoy a kick ass platform that many of us use every day and pay nothing for.

Fernet - keep up the awesome work, and we look forward to the fix being merged into a stable or beta build when available.

Sorry, but thats a bit off...
People come to the forums to bring up issues and find solutions. People have brought up XBMCbuntu issues since the March launch and have not heard anyone talk about fixing the original XBMC branch of XBMCbuntu.Coming on the forums and bringing up issues is almost like donating. We are spending our time also...

XBMCbuntu replaced XBMClive and people have seen nothing but issues with it. It doesn't matter if your a Linux noob or not. If something is meant to install easy and work with no issues like its predecessor there is a problem.. In this thread I started a while ago about the beta testing for XBMCbuntu seemed kind of slim and not many people chimed in, but NedScott said
Quote:That's somewhat debatably accurate, re: XBMCbuntu. XBMCbuntu Beta was only released when Beta 3 was released. So while the version of XBMC running in XBMCbuntu was Eden for Linux Beta 3, XBMCbuntu itself was only Beta 1 and no additional beta images were released by the Team before Final. As such, and particularly with regards to issues surrounding the installer, which is where XBMCbuntu primarily differs with XBMC for Linux, asking why there weren't additional Betas is at least a fair question.

We have seen multiple fixes come out for Windows users. We don't sit here banging our fist wanting fixes now. Yes we all know that openELEC and Xbmcfreaks have their version of the program, but a lot of us still want to try and make this version work first before we want something specific, plus they are the main source to begin with. We can easily go away and not bother posting on here and move on to another box or program, but that would only hurt development since no one would care to bring up bugs and such.
Quote:I don't understand why you can get mad about my comment. It wasn't directed towards you and your work, it was directed toward the regular XBMC software.

I am a member of team XBMC, so it was directed towards me. I have given you an update about the work being done by the team which you have ignored. We can't just push such huge changes straight into mainline and hope it would not break other things. This is why those changes are tested in separate branches and made available for testing. This takes its time. You won't benefit from a fix which breaks two other functions.
with regard to what FernetMenta said: that also means that users willing to get involved and test those fixes are needed.
Its impossible for the devs alone to test everything, specially on such heterogeneous platform as linux. There are numerous hardware and software setups, each combination of which can have its specific problem.

(2012-06-17, 17:01)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I don't understand why you can get mad about my comment. It wasn't directed towards you and your work, it was directed toward the regular XBMC software.

I am a member of team XBMC, so it was directed towards me. I have given you an update about the work being done by the team which you have ignored. We can't just push such huge changes straight into mainline and hope it would not break other things. This is why those changes are tested in separate branches and made available for testing. This takes its time. You won't benefit from a fix which breaks two other functions.

I don't know what you want from me.. I read your post.. You posted a link to a thread titled " Howto Install XBMC PVR Xvba for AMD/ATI Radeon and Fusion GPUs" and a link to XBMCfreaks.. I said I used XBMCfreak before. This thread we are in right now is about basic playback issues. I understand how this goes I have been around for a couple of years so I know stuff doesn't get fixed over night or in a month.In the past with XBMClive they have never put out the same kind of fixes and updates like they do with Windows so we all know how that works already. The big picture here is... The new stable XBMCbuntu is not as stable as 10.1..

Like I said in the thread I posted a while ago... I would love to help and beta test, but like natethomas said..
Quote:XBMCbuntu Beta was only released when Beta 3 was released. So while the version of XBMC running in XBMCbuntu was Eden for Linux Beta 3, XBMCbuntu itself was only Beta 1 and no additional beta images were released by the Team before Final
With that in mind....

Here is the thread. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127565 I didn't see you post a comment in it..

Take it as you will.. I'm not singling you out at all. I'm done expressing that.. I support what you do and doing it on your own time..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9