Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Extend 2.0/X.0 audio for bass channel? (on the fly?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a 5.1 Soundsystem connected via S/PDIF and it works very well. Only problem: the 5 satelits are only for mid and high frequencys. So if I play 5.1 (or any X.1) movies or music, everything is all right. But if i play any audio without seperate bass signal, I have no bass.

For movies this is not the biggest problem for me, but I'd love to hear some basses in the songs! Is there any way to combine the bass signals from the channels (or at least front left/right), so have a X.1 audio stream, if there is no seperate bass signal? (or at least for 2.0 audio)

I know I could reencode all the movies/songs but all other players (pocket mp3 player, mobile phone, laptop/desktop PCs) dont have any bass channel so this would be a waste of space (and probably of CPU time as well).

big thanks in advance for any sugestions!
lnxbmc
Welcome to the forums. Generally the amplifier/receiver handles the LF filtering to send to a subwoofer in a 5.1 system. You don't mention what you're actually connected to, but it should be doing this.

Can you give more details about what XBMC is outputting too? By your nick I assume you're on Linux?
Hi,

indeed I'm on linux Wink

I got my AVR to do as I wish. it was not that obvious to me that it should do it, but after looking for the manual online (must have lost it) I figured the config out to generate the LF from the main signals.

thanks anyways!
Glad you got it working - and again, welcome to the forums Nod