Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What are the movie specs suitable for xbmc atv1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have apple tv 1st gen with atv and xbmc. I was wondering what specs, audio and video formats and quality can this machine handle. I have various movies on the hard drive and some stutter and freeze (but only on the xbmc on apple, not on other machines). Is it because of the size, format, or what?
Also I forgot to ask if it wil be the same for the apple tv 1 and black versions
Apple TV 1 without Broadcom Crystal HD = playback h264 (high profile?) up to 720. SD for everything else (I think the CPU can also do 720 DIVX?)

Apple TV 1 with BCHD = playback just about everything up to 1080.

Apple TV 2 = playback h.264 high profile up to 1080.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Apple_TV_1_FAQ#HD

Check out the BCHD links. It replaces the wifi card and costs $20-$40 and gives the ATV1 new life.
Ned Scott Wrote:Apple TV 1 without Broadcom Crystal HD = playback h264 (high profile?) up to 720. SD for everything else (I think the CPU can also do 720 DIVX?)

Apple TV 1 with BCHD = playback just about everything up to 1080.

Apple TV 2 = playback h.264 high profile up to 1080.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Apple_TV_1_FAQ#HD

Check out the BCHD links. It replaces the wifi card and costs $20-$40 and gives the ATV1 new life.

Okay... 1080 sounds great. Does the file size matter? I have Bypassed the wireless stream and placed the movies on the hard drive for better performance. There are many movies that play with a lot of stutter and freezing. Some of the sizes are 1.5 and 2 gigs. They do play on the ps3 and other devices well
my ATV1 play some 25..30 gigs MKV files using wired Lan with no problem... and the magic is that my ATV1 is the same as yours Wink (yep I have a BHCD inside)
dtorner Wrote:my ATV1 play some 25..30 gigs MKV files using wired Lan with no problem... and the magic is that my ATV1 is the same as yours Wink (yep I have a BHCD inside)

Wow really!!? Nuff said... BCHD it is then! Thanks, once again this forum has saved my life