Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Are there problems with i3 2100 without discrete graphics for htpc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im interested to know from fellow xbmc'ers who uses i3 2100(or above). Did you encounter any unsolved problem with i3 2100?

Some issues i heard about the i3 2100:

1. 24p playback is not perfect. even when disable uac.
2. EDID issue. From anadtech review comments
Quote:Just thought I would comment with my experience. I am unable to get bluray playback, or even CableCard TV playback with the Intel integrated graphics on my new I5-2500K w/ Asus Motherboard. Why you ask? The same problem Intel has always had, it doesn't handle the EDID's correctly when there is a receiver in the path between it and the display.

To be fair, I have an older Westinghouse Monitor, and an Onkyo TX-SR606. But the fact that all I had to do was reinstall my HD5450 (which I wanted to get rid of when I did the update to SandyBridge) and all my problems were gone kind of points to the fact that Intel still hasn't gotten it right when it comes to EDID's, HDCP handshakes, etc.

So sad too, because otherwise I love the upgraded platform for my HTPC. Just wish I didn't have to add-in the discrete graphics.

My requirements are simple
1. 3d playback
2. bitstream hd audio
3. play hd flash media

Any comments?
the i3 failed to 3d playback in a recent review.

I heard that sandy bridge igp has bad dxva support. Some media player have playback problem(MPC-HC) initially(not sure if it is resolved now).

See here. http://www.missingremote.com/review/inte...otherboard

Anybody use sandy bridge would like to share?

Thanks.
I am not having any issues with my i3-2100 iGPU for playing back full blu-ray rips. I'm actually pretty damn happy with it for the most part.

I don't play (or want to play) 3D movies.
There discussion on sandy bridge on this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98037

Some notes
1. Some got dxva working and some not(not sure dxva or dxva2)
2. Frameskip issue when playing high bitrate movie(25mbps and above). This means that blu ray action movie will get frameskip at the worst time(during action scenes). blu ray rips usually have lower bitrate.

Thanks.
publicENEMY Wrote:There discussion on sandy bridge on this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98037

Some notes
1. Some got dxva working and some not(not sure dxva or dxva2)
2. Frameskip issue when playing high bitrate movie(25mbps and above). This means that blu ray action movie will get frameskip at the worst time(during action scenes). blu ray rips usually have lower bitrate.

Thanks.

I don't have frame drops during any movies (most of my stuff are full BD rips not re-compressed). Are they matching refresh rates for their displays?
My i3 2100 works flawlessly! No performance problems what so ever, however I have not tried 3D on it yet.
voip-ninja Wrote:I don't have frame drops during any movies (most of my stuff are full BD rips not re-compressed). Are they matching refresh rates for their displays?

You mean remux bd? Most of the website review uses small clips instead of watching full movie(which possibly contains high bitrate action scenes).

Do refresh rates matching have any effect on frame drops? i ask this because i dont know.

It seems Nexxo and voip-ninja are very happy with their i3. i guess most noticeable annoying problem has been fixed. Just one thing need confirmations. Can i3 playback blu ray and 3d bluray using either tmt, pdvd, mpc-hc and xbmc sucessfully without framedrops?

Thanks for the input guys. Im sure a lot of people would find this interesting as this findings are by people who uses i3 on daily basis.
publicENEMY Wrote:You mean remux bd? Most of the website review uses small clips instead of watching full movie(which possibly contains high bitrate action scenes).

Do refresh rates matching have any effect on frame drops? i ask this because i dont know.

It seems Nexxo and voip-ninja are very happy with their i3. i guess most noticeable annoying problem has been fixed. Just one thing need confirmations. Can i3 playback blu ray and 3d bluray using either tmt, pdvd, mpc-hc and xbmc sucessfully without framedrops?

Thanks for the input guys. Im sure a lot of people would find this interesting as this findings are by people who uses i3 on daily basis.

I don't use remix BD, I make straight rips of BD to MKV using MakeMKV.

I don't have any experience with 3D blu-ray rips because I don't own any 3D BDs.

No, during action sequences I don't get any frame drops. I get solid playback at 1080p/23.976 for the full length of the movie regardless of whether it is action or something else.

I am suspicious that if people are having problems they are either using other settings, using external players (which I don't, I use the built into XBMC player), or using out of date drivers from when Intel had more issues with frame rate on Sandy Bridge.
@voip-ninja

Do you have XBMC with DXVA on?
What is the bitrate and resolution your rips are at?
DXVA is not turned on because it's not needed. i3 has more than enough horsepower to do all decoding in software, so why bother with it?

Rips are straight BD rips which means that they are at full 1920X1080 23.976. Bitrate depends on the content. I don't re-compress them.

Still don't believe me?

Here's a photo I took after I watched Revenge of the Sith. This is over 1 hour into the film. See the frame drops? 3? That's how many there were when playback began and the playback was synced up to my display, a 1080p/24 capable Panasonic Plasma. See the sync rate? 23.976. I use the options in XBMC to adjust the clock in the i3 iGPU so that it is correctly synced perfectly with the display, and there are no jerks, stutters, or frame drops!

I don't really know why others are reporting problems. There aren't problems using the built in player. As I said before, people with problems are more than likely using external players, using old drivers, using incompatible displays, etc.... or, maybe they are just confused. Huh

I see a lot of posts of people having problems getting XBMC to work with <fill in the blank> player, or complaining that the built in player doesn't have the "best humanly possible" PQ. I think I'd know if the PQ was terrible with my setup considering I have a professionally calibrated 65" top of the line plasma TV. The PQ is great. If people put 10% of the energy into enjoying their movies that they do screwing with their setups and critiquing PQ they would probably be much happier overall.

voip-ninja Wrote:I don't use remix BD, I make straight rips of BD to MKV using MakeMKV.

Then you are using uncompress bd movie. I think frame drop problem with bd playbak can be ruled out.

voip-ninja Wrote:I am suspicious that if people are having problems they are either using other settings, using external players (which I don't, I use the built into XBMC player), or using out of date drivers from when Intel had more issues with frame rate on Sandy Bridge.

So am i. Hardware canucks dont even mention what kind of test configuration they are using. not even the player application they are using and at what version. That kind of sloppiness makes them totally unreliable IMHO.

Thanks.
voip-ninja Wrote:Image

I see that you got DTS-HD MA audio track playing, are you bitstreaming that out in DTS-HD or just DTS?
voip-ninja Wrote:DXVA is not turned on because it's not needed. i3 has more than enough horsepower to do all decoding in software, so why bother with it?

Rips are straight BD rips which means that they are at full 1920X1080 23.976. Bitrate depends on the content. I don't re-compress them.

Still don't believe me?[/img]

I completely believe you... now that you said DXVA was OFF Wink

The CPU, as do most modern CPUs costing over $50, has the horsepower to do BD playback without frame drops. The problem Intel has is with DXVA turned ON. Their HD2000 & HD3000 built-in video decoding engine has issues.
Livin Wrote:I completely believe you... now that you said DXVA was OFF Wink

The CPU, as do most modern CPUs costing over $50, has the horsepower to do BD playback without frame drops. The problem Intel has is with DXVA turned ON. Their HD2000 & HD3000 built-in video decoding engine has issues.

What do you need DXVA for?
Pages: 1 2