Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Eden - Windows/AppleTV2 - No 'Library' tab for Video w/ MySql DB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new to XBMC and have recently jailbroken an AppleTV2 and installed XBMC Eden Beta 1 on it. I've also got Eden Beta 1 on a few HTPCs running Windows 7 x64. I set up a MySQL DB on the server that hosts the files, have set content types on the sources on each machine and am using SMB sources everywhere. Under the 'Music' tab there's a 'Library' option that allows me to create smart playlists but there's no equivalent under the 'Video' tab. Everything else works fine on every machine (music playback, video playback, movie information context menu, etc.). I've thoroughly searched the forums and couldn't find anything to help me out, and there doesn't seem to be any way to set up Smart Playlists for Video. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Looks like it's hiding under Files for the video library (both TV and movies). Go to Videos -> Files -> Video Playlists
Ned Scott Wrote:Looks like it's hiding under Files for the video library (both TV and movies). Go to Videos -> Files -> Video Playlists

That's always been something that's been confusing to me. Is there some reason that the smart playlist editor can't just be a context menu item while in the video library?
I have no 'Video Playlists' option under Files, just the sources I've selected and the 'Add Videos...' link. Am I missing something?
mhendu Wrote:I have no 'Video Playlists' option under Files, just the sources I've selected and the 'Add Videos...' link. Am I missing something?

Most likely you're down a level in the file tree. In the Files view go to the top where there's two dots and click that. It should bring up the menu that contains playlists.
Nope, I'm at the top-level and there is no playlist option. I can get to Now Playing and save whatever I'm playing as a playlist but can't access that playlist from anywhere afterwards. Also, just for kicks I disabled the advancedsettings.xml and loaded only a few movies into the library on a local HTPC and it still didn't show a smart playlist option anywhere - this is on Eden Beta 2.
This seems to be an issue with SMB shares. On one of my HTPCs (not the server) I disabled advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml and started up a new video database with one source which was a local drive letter mapped in Windows pointed to a path on my server. When I loaded the content into the database the Playlists option appeared as expected. I then edited the sources.xml to change the local drive to the SMB share and rescanned the database - the Playlists option disappeared. I added the local drive back in and rescanned both it and the SMB share and still no Playlists option. My assumption then is that if all sources are local the Playlists option will appear, but if any SMB shares are active it disappears. Can someone please confirm?
I tested with Eden beta 2 by deleting my profile and starting with a completely fresh one.

When you select Video from the home screen it takes you directly into the Files view and the Playlist is not shown in this view. As soon as I added a source of any type, even without setting any content on it or scanning, selecting Video from the Home screen gave me options of Files, Playlists and Add-ons.

Can you replicate this procedure and see what happens.

JR
OK, so I deleted all the xml files from the userdata folder and all the .db files from the Database folder and proceeded as described above. When I added an SMB source this time it worked like a charm. When I restart XBMC, though, the option disappears. In fact, if I do this whole procedure and add a local drive or an SMB share mapped as a local drive, the playlists option appears, but after restarting XBMC it disappears. Any thoughts?
So I restored my original files and am using the MySQL DB again and discovered per another thread on this same topic that hitting the 'Flatten' button while in File mode will then provide access to Playlists, but this is apparently the only way to get to them. Seems like a bug, no?
Playlists have always been available in the root of the videos view. This is accessed (for example) from the Library button on the home page.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but there is no 'Library' tab for Video in Eden, at least on any of my systems. Short of recreating my profile every time I start up XBMC the only way to access the Playlists for Video is to hit the Flatten button in file mode. This seems like a design error as Playlists are available when first creating the library, but not subsequently when restarting XBMC. I can deal with using the Flatten button to make it work but am trying to be helpful by reporting a bug here - if this is not the appropriate forum I can post elsewhere but please don't dismiss my report outright. I'd be happy to show you a screenshot if this will convince you that in fact there is an error.
mhendu Wrote:I'd be happy to show you a screenshot if this will convince you that in fact there is an error.

Yes please. For comparison, if I go through the procedure described above i.e. delete the profile and add a source but set no content, then when I choose Video from the home screen I get:

Closing and restarting XBMC makes no difference.

JR
I've created a short video clip to illustrate the problem. Again, this is running on Windows 7 x64:
When you first start XBMC, click on the Videos entry, not the Files button. Then all works fine, right?

The problem as you rightly point out, is that, given that the Videos button is a "return me to where I was" type button, we should really have a separate dedicated button to get to the root of the videos section, where the playlists are.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Pages: 1 2