Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Spaces in AVI files not detected
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Could not find anything similar on the forum so here goes.

I have a lot of media in AVI format but the automated scan does pick up any of these files if there is a space in the title yet if picks up other formats with spaces in the title.

I did a small test and removed the spaces in the filename and then it picked it up. This is odd. I have hundreds of files so manually removing spaces in all of them is not possible.

E.g.

Lie To Me S01E01 - Pilot.AVI will not work but
LieToMeS01E01-Pilot.AVI will work
Lie To Me S01E01 - Pilot.MP4 will work

Any help will be appreciated please !!!
Weird, I would say that at least 95% of my files have spaces in the file name.

Do they play when going through the file view?

Are you sure the avi files aren't corrupt in some way? (Going by your post you said removing the spaces makes the files play so that's probably not the problem.)

My only suggestion would be to get a debug logfile and post it.

Or you could use Bulk Rename Utility to replace all the spaces in your filenames with periods (.)
SandmanZA Wrote:Hi

Could not find anything similar on the forum so here goes.

I did a small test and removed the spaces in the filename and then it picked it up. This is odd. I have hundreds of files so manually removing spaces in all of them is not possible.

E.g.

Lie To Me S01E01 - Pilot.AVI will not work but
LieToMeS01E01-Pilot.AVI will work
Lie To Me S01E01 - Pilot.MP4 will work

Any help will be appreciated please !!!

I'm surprised that removing spaces allowed scanning as it should confuse the logic more than spaces. I've seen where .AVI is not seen but .avi does so give that a try unless you just typed .AVI for emphasis. Like others here on all sorts of OS's there's usually never an issue with spaces in file names. I have my importer set to replace all periods with spaces and never had an issue. Ensure that you have the proper file structure, that the source is set as TV Series and theTVDB is the scanner.

ex:
D:\TVSeries\Series Name\Season x(optional)\Series name SxxExx or other supported format.

Are you using a 3rd party program to create .nfo files for your media. It could be that if you downloaded series they include a nfo files that are not in the proper format. Renaming your files should not be the solution...even if it works as filenames with spaces are supported. It could be that any renaming is causing XBMC to see the files as new. There's something else going on that we just have to figure out. The debug log might help but try not to get it too big.
Delete xbmc.log, open XBMC and let it scan, then exit XBMC and copy the log file.

You may also want to try wiping out your video database. It will be named MyVideosXX.db where XX = a number such as 34 for Dharma version and 58 for Eden Beta1.
Many thanks

Will fiddle a bit and do some debuging.
I was surprised that nobody else reported this.
If all else fails I will use the Bulk Rename Utility - downloaded it and looks like it will do the job.
@Dobyken

Did not really check if it is .AVI or .avi - will try that next - seems odd.

Maybe I should have stated that all my media sit on a FREENAS server but that should not make any difference - these days case sensitivity is not an issue.

All my media is well structured in folders as per your suggestion. I am not using .nfo files

I did wipe the DB and try again - did not work.

Will get the log next.
RESOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Set the debug mode and got the following n the file:
19:27:36 T:2660 M:250155008 DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Could not enumerate file Z:\TV Series\Lie to Me\Season 1\Lie To Me - S01 E02 - Moral Waiver [NXOR]-d.avi

This told me that it actually picked up the .AVI but could not gt the info on it.

I then checked the other files and realised that it did read movies that had spaces in the filename so I went back to the TV Series.

After closer inspection I noticed that there was a space between S01 and E01 - removed it and hooray - success - rescan worked and now all in order.

SOLUTION: cannot have a space character between the Season and the Episode !!!!!
SandmanZA Wrote:RESOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!

After closer inspection I noticed that there was a space between S01 and E01 - removed it and hooray - success - rescan worked and now all in order.

SOLUTION: cannot have a space character between the Season and the Episode !!!!!

Yeah...tell us something we don't knowLaugh Your example did not have the space in it which is the case for cut and paste rather than write what we think we have. I'm sure we have all done something similar at one time or another.