Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Complete Noob, advice and questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking at xbmc recently to watch web content like icefilms ect...I also want something to play music 2ch flac and bitstreams and displays folder.jpg art.

I dont want to stream anything really off my hard drive, i am a dune owner and stream blu-rays and hd content to it.

Im torn whether to just get an appletv2 for simplicity, or buy a cheap zotac htpc.

I have a few questions if anyone can answer, and feel free as to offer suggestions on which direction i should go, zotac or apple tv. I have read quite a bit but still have questions. I dont want to spend much on this.

1. If i go zotac can i run xbmc as a operating system off usb? I dont want to add windows or anything.

2. Stuttering of icefilms type content is a huge concern, i am using a wired connection 25 down 3 up, i dont share my connection with anyone, but this is where im curious about hardware limits.

3. Remote control usability, if i go zotac or anything, can the xbmc app in the android marketplace control it just over wifi?

4.Upnp does xbmc have this? Could I use my android to actually see content on xbmc from my android? For instance if i set up a music share, can i use the android app to view and play my music?

Thats about it, i would go the zotac route for more flexibility, but ease of use concerns me, mainly with a remote.
Also if it helps I was looking at the zotac ZBOX ND22.

I am thinking/hoping apple tv with crystal hd chip, would work fine for 720p.

Im not to sure how much 1080p content there is available for web streaming.

Any hd content i keep my dune takes care of off my home server.
Icefilms-related discussion is no longer allowed on these forums.

1> Yes

2> Depends

3> Not sure

4> Yes
Jetster Wrote:3> Not sure

If you mean the "Official XBMC Remote" app then yes it will control XBMC on anything. Note however that this is just a remote control app. It doesn't play back media on the phone/tablet.

I've never tried playing stuff from XBMC with uPnP, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I assume the media player(s) included with Android can play from uPnP sources.

JR
Thanks for your help.

If possible can i switch this thread a bit to will this work.

I cant find the zoatec anymore.

Would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-EB1007-B0410-...d_vtp_pc_2

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-CoreAll--Min...=1-2-spell

Anything else in the price range.

My goal is only 2.

1.Play web content at 1080p, no dts master, no true hd, i am talking about just streaming web content such as youtube, hulu ect...

2. play 2 channel flac bitstreamed to my receiver

My plan is to use a ssd card with openelec or xbmc live.

As mentioned my dune prime handles all my heavier stuff such as blu-ray hd content stored on my server.

I also have a server already so i dont need storage.

If anyone can help me on this it would be greatly appreciated if the above would work.
XBMC will run on virtually anything that has a capable graphics chipset. Both of the PCs you mention should be fine.

JR