Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TrueHD and DTS-MA as multi channel LPCM in Dharma / Eden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

does Dharma or Eden support passing TrueHD or DTS-MA audio as multi channel LPCM through HDMI?

Cheers,
Rafał
FFMpeg can't decode DTS-MA, we can only play the DTS core. With that said, yes if your hardware supports multi-pcm, XBMC can be setup to send it.
Yes, my hardware plays multi-pcm LPCM fine. I have already tried Dolby Digital and standard DTS. They are decoded to multi LPCM just fine. Also multi channel FLAC works great even with 24bit/192khz.

How about Dolby TrueHD, should it work? Also in 24bit/192khz?

Are there any known drawbacks to passing DD/DTS/TrueHD as multi LPCM (except higher CPU usage) compared to pass-through? Theoretically quality should be the same. Am I right?
TrueHD is lossless audio, and on BD's with TrueHD audio, I've seen my preamp receive a Multi PCM signal with similar samplerate shown, so I guess ffmpeg can decode the MLP codec used on TrueHD.

Unless there's a type of encoding I haven't encountered yet
How do you enable the conversion to Multi PCM?
KeithLM Wrote:How do you enable the conversion to Multi PCM?

When you have Speaker Configuration set to multi -channel (like for example 5.1), DD/DTS pass-through disabled and properly configured audio output to HDMI then XBMC automatically decodes Dolby Digital or DTS in software and passes decoded LPCM streams to HDMI.

Cheers,
Rafał