Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how to change how much fast forward and rewind skip?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I checked out the xml files in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps but I couldn't see how to specify that the fast forward and rewind should only skip X seconds. It seems to be set at 30 but I want it at 10 each way.

How is this specified?
You configure this in advancedsettings.xml. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml for details.

here's a quick HowTo:

Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\advancedsettings.xml"

and click OK, and when Notepad asks if you want to create a new file answer Yes. Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <timeseekforward>30</timeseekforward>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to 30. -->
    <timeseekbackward>-30</timeseekbackward>  <!-- Time to seek backward in seconds when doing a short seek.  Defaults to -30. -->
    <timeseekforwardbig>600</timeseekforwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to 600 (10 minutes). -->
    <timeseekbackwardbig>-600</timeseekbackwardbig>  <!-- Time to seek forward in seconds when doing a long seek.  Defaults to -600 (10 minutes). -->
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

Change the 30 and -30 to the number of seconds you want to jump. I've included the settings for the big steps (up and down arrows) but you can omit them if you don't want to change them.

Close Notepad and save the changes.

JR
ok thanks a lot, this is exactly what I needed to know.
Hey this is an old thread probably from the Frodo days... This settings edit for the advancesettings file works to change the default settings of skipping forward or backwards 30 seconds works ok except for one big problem for me.

My setup: Gotham 13.1 Windows 7.

Here's the problem. When I press the comma or period buttons(comma for skip back & period for skip forward-which is default for XBMC in the keymap file) they don't often work like they are supposed to.

Example. Watching either a DVD, movie on my hard drive, or a movie\show through an internet videoadd-on(simply movies). I will press the period button to skip forward and it will do nothing and the comma (skip back 30 seconds) will start from the beginning instead of going back 30 seconds. Other times it will work perfectly. So basically both buttons won't work properly and sometimes they both work properly. There is never a situation where one button works and the other doesn't It's either both work or both don't work properly.

I just bought an Amulet Remote and I want to program (if I can) some of the buttons on the remote to be able to skip back or forward 30 seconds in case I miss something. Anyway Gotham seems to have a bug regarding this feature or I am somehow screwing this up. Please help!