Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MJPEG / MJPG (Motion-JPEG) codec support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my fiance has a cannon powershot which does videos, not bad ones either if you keep your focus and don't bounce too much.  they work fine in windows media player and in winamp, however in xbox media center they don't play correctly, as you will see.

http://www.kkwow.com/files/carvid.avi

you will see in xbox media center that it will have colour on a strip on the left side and then a negative on 3/4 of the screen on the right.  it's not because she's filming me with her f-stop closed either, since it has auto f-stop.  the actual video compression is something that xbox media center doesn't like.

also, my fiance is the one talking and filming me, she is deaf.  so please don't blast this topic just because you don't like the way she vocalizes. i know that sounds harsh, but there are some people out there who are that way...

if you are curious, she said, "wave to the camera.  hey, cutie, wave to the camera."  and yes, that was fleetwood mac singing "little lies" on my radio.

we are big movie buffs, we like to film our lives so we are older we can look back at them fondly...  so please fix this error, we'd really appreciate it since the xbox is where we put all of our memories.

thanks,

chris
i loaded gspot and checked, it's encoded with mjpg (moving jpeg) rather crappy format imho. you can always transcode it if you want it supported, i *guess* we never bothered to compile in support for mjpg in our mplayer. (no, i didnt check it on my xbox)

maybe you would be so kind and tell us what xbmc version/builddate and mplayer version you might be running ?
it's the newest one from march, "3-4" iirc. i really try to keep up-to-date on these things.

yeah, it's not the best video in the world but it is better than no video really. i would like to get a video camera that has better direct support, but money is tight, you know how that is.

thanks for your help!

chris
moving to the feature suggestions forum and re-named topic to "mjpeg / mjpg ( motion-jpeg ) codec support", now please read/follow this (link)
Just for my understanding. Is this a XBMC thing or does FFMPEG need to do something to about it? The codec itself is supported, right? What I read on the net is that my it cannot be hardware accelerated and my CPU is too weak to decode..

I will probably reencode all my vids to H.264 and my next digital camera will be one that does not record in MJPEG...

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13573