Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stream video content over Internet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have setup XBMC to host all my videos and music at home. I am travelling out for a few days. I will have Internet access. My home PC is accessible via DynDNS already and I use the Web Interface in my home to run media.

However, I am looking for a way to view the videos via a browser on the Internet. Basically, looking for a quick easy way to stream my content online.

Is this possible? Any suggestions or workarounds? There are a few threads in the forum which talk about "Four", but, apparently, it looks like a false alarm.

Any suggestions appreciated.
It really doesn't work. I've experimented with it. You need rock-solid high speed connections at both ends, FTP works best, and your media needs to be highly compressed. 720p is basically a no-go, it gets choppy even with the best of connections.

Netflix is free for 30 days, and works excellently.
vinistois Wrote:It really doesn't work. I've experimented with it. You need rock-solid high speed connections at both ends, FTP works best, and your media needs to be highly compressed. 720p is basically a no-go, it gets choppy even with the best of connections.

Netflix is free for 30 days, and works excellently.

Thanks for the reply vinistois. If I am hearing you correctly, we need a good Internet connection; thats a given.

I am a bit unsure of the FTP thing. I know what FTP is, but, can we use FTP for streaming? or you are suggesting we use FTP to transfer files to and fro between the home computer and my travel laptop?
XBMC can use an FTP server as a source. You would have to configure an FTP server on the server at your house, then fiddle with your broadband router to allow FTP access from the outside. That's easy for us nerds but possibly less so for you normals. in any case, as vinistois says it's unlikely to be very satisfactory.

JR