Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [REQUEST] True global RSS feed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that I'm re-revisiting Alaska there's something that has always bugged me about having a global RSS feed and that's the fact that it always restarts for each new window. Although the position is saved once a window is opened (so when you return it carries on from where it left off) you end up with it in different positions across different windows.

So would it be possible to store the feed position as a global value so if a skin has a ubiquitous RSS feed it's never disturbed by window transitions?

Thanks.

EDIT: Found the original trac patch and posted there as well.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6940#comment:8
+1

Cheers Wink
Should I post a trac request instead?
@Hitcher
sure, if this is different from mentioned ticket - trac it right away
Done, thanks.
What would You think on different approach?
Instead of making rss control to remember position across all windows - let's add global overlay dialog. It would replace VideoOverlay+MusicOverlay. You would have total control on visibility of this overlay. Adding rss control to that overlay would have same effect as proposed feature and we wouldn't have problems like issue pointed by Jezz_X in trac ticket.
Sounds great to me.

EDIT: Now you've reminded me - [REQUEST] Default Overlay

This idea would reduce an awful amount of includes for many skins.
This is already possible with custom window with type dialog. Just set the visibility for the whole dialog to the windows that you want or don't want and use zorder to determine if it should be on top of anything.
Big_Noid Wrote:This is already possible with custom window with type dialog. Just set the visibility for the whole dialog to the windows that you want or don't want and use zorder to determine if it should be on top of anything.

Oh my word, so it does. Shocked

http://youtu.be/ENugpfdzxng

I guess we can scrap both ideas.
Global overlay would be very good.

@Big_Noid
But you would have to open the custom window and it would have focus, wouldn't it? Global overlay is not possible with custom windows or am I missing something?
I used it to make test code that you can drop in any skin as attachment to a trac ticket. Never thought about using it for skin furniture :o
`Black Wrote:Global overlay would be very good.

@Big_Noid
But you would have to open the custom window and it would have focus, wouldn't it? Global overlay is not possible with custom windows or am I missing something?

It opens determined by the visibility condition. Doesn't need to have focus for that.
`Black Wrote:Global overlay would be very good.

@Big_Noid

That's it working in the video I posted.

I just set it's visible condition to <visible>!Window.IsVisible(startup)</visible> and that was it.

EDIT: Added 'time & date' and 'now playing' as a test and they work perfectly.
Ok thanks for the info.
I still like the idea of a proper 'global overlay' though and maybe while we're at it a 'global underlay' (seeing as a dialog can't be displayed below a window) that could be used for fanart/background image?