Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Changing to a hidden directory from Terminal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
n00b question alert!!!!

I'm using XBMCLive booted from a usb key.

I'm trying to set XBMC Library Auto Update to load on start up and it's telling me to copy autoexec.py to user data folder.

1st dumb questioin...where do I find the autoexec.py
2nd dumb quesyion...I know where the user data folder is...it's in /home/xbmc/.xbmc but from terminal all I can do with hidden folders is

ls -a

to see them. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change directory into the hidden folder. All I get is a No such file or directory.

Do I need to be able to access that or if I "cp" the file with full path (/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata) will it go?
cd .xbmc while in your home directory and while in your .xbmc dir type find | grep autoexec.py

And yes you can copy using the full path. It will look something like cp /path/to/autoexec.py /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/
The only dumb question is the one not asked.

And yes, if you cp with the full path it will go.
I don't know how many variations of cd I used and it never went...until I typed...

cd .xbmc

Don't know what I was doing. I haven't done this much terminal programming since highschool...in the MID '80's

Thanks teeedub

PS @ TechLife...I used to tell recruits before going onto the grenade range, "Stupid questions prevent stupid mistakes."