Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: is it possible to downmix DTS into AC3 ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My English is very bad.

I have a problem with the audio output if the soundtrack is DTS.

I use an Nvidia GT520 HDMI for audio output.

My receiver supports AC3. Unfortunately it does not support DTS.

If I disable DTS in XBMC I hear the background noise very loud, but I don't hear any dialogues.

Can someone help me?

My system:
Ubuntu 10.04
Alsa 1.0.24
Nvidia 290.10

aplay -l
Code:
**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], Gerät 0: ALC882 Analog [ALC882 Analog]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 0: Intel [HDA Intel], Gerät 1: ALC882 Digital [ALC882 Digital]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
Karte 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Sub-Geräte: 0/1

/etc/asound.conf

Code:
#
#Nvidia HDMI
#
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hw:1,3"
       rate 48000
   }
}
pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia

XBMC Audiooutput
Output: HDMI
Skeaker: 5.1
Boost Volume Level: on
AC3: on
DTS: off
Output Device: HDMI:CARD=NVidia
Passthrough Output Device: HDMI:CARD=NVidia

compi
You don't downmix DTS to AC3, they are different audio codecs. What you can do is transcode your DTS audio track to AC3, but you'll need to do that outside of XBMC. I've done it a couple of times and it's not too bad.

First, you'll need to demultiplex (demux) the audio from the video in your file(s), then use one of a bunch of different tools to convert (transcode) the DTS soundtrack to AC3. Finally, you'll need to remultiplex (remux) the AC3 track to the video file. The audio conversion on a newer system and the remuxing process really don't take too long.

There are tutorials all over the place for transcoding audio if you search. Your only other option would be to disable AC3 and DTS and downmix to stereo with any DTS encoded files.
I found it myself out

Thank you
compi
Disable AC3 and DTS and everything should be downmixed to stereo.
I just tried XBMC 12 "Frodo" RC2, and DTS-tracks are automatically transcoded to AC3, if you selected the option, that your receiver is only capable of AC3 in the audio-settings. Works great!
(2013-01-02, 18:59)villeneuve Wrote: [ -> ]I just tried XBMC 12 "Frodo" RC2, and DTS-tracks are automatically transcoded to AC3, if you selected the option, that your receiver is only capable of AC3 in the audio-settings. Works great!

i was about to post this but you beat me to it! even an atom 330 can do this.