Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need advice on my first Live Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am considering installing Live on my Acer Revo 3610. I currently use Openelec but I want to switch as I am having a few issues with this install and I am finding it difficult to figure out the various tweaks to get it working.

I have a few questions before I do

1) What's the boot time for Live like?

2) Will I have to spend much time looking at console screens or messing around with Linux commands? Basically I want to spend time watching my media rather than trying to get it to work. I don't know Linux that well and will probably stick to my current install if so.

3) Is it easy to get Couch Potato, Sickbeard and Sabnzd working automatically? I have this set up on my Mac and openelec machine and IMHO this is the best add-on of XBMC for me at present.

4) Is it easy to mount shares on my NAS?

5) Are there any issues those XBMC users unfamiliar with the Live version should know about?

6) Will Live manage 5.1 1080p etc on my machine without issue?

I've used XBMC on windows and a mac and I am familiar with it on these machines. However, I didn't like being occasionally presented with Windows or OSX on my TV as I felt it slowed down my machine and it meant I had to connect my keyboard and mouse.

Thanks
Am not the pro, but here's a few of my five cents.

1. Depends on the drive, I'd say 20-30s from SSD, 40-50s from HDD and a bit more than a minute from a USB. Have never timed it, so this is just rough guesses.

2. Probably some, but there should be some good guides for for Revo. If you have a second machine, or laptop, you can also use Putty and sit somewhere comfortable doing the little CLI needed (including the great feature to cut and paste scripts and the like via simply right clicking in the Putty window).

3. No clue.

4. You don't actually need to mount them, you can just set them as sources (different folders on same NAS may be set up as different sources) from within XBMC.

5. Can't tell, only used Live.

6. Yes, my Atom D525/ION2 easily handles 1080p. That's without 5.1, but I reckon audio is peanuts compared to video stream.

You may want to note that Live is turning into XBMCbuntu as things move towards Eden release. Simply put, it's live, but with a full xbuntu under the hood (including GUI). See XBMC main page for news about this.