Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't edit rclocal file!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Just recently upgraded with fresh Install of Eden beta 3. Everything works great but I can't edit the rclocal file to fix the remote wake up option.

I also can't access through SSH with ID root and PW xbmc. Please help
Login as root via via ssh is usually disabled by default. Try logging in using u: xbmc p: xbmc and use sudo to gain root privileges, so use 'sudo nano /etc/rc.local'
Thanks..... I forgot root access was disabled by default. Fixed it
So,
I was able to edit the rclocal file, but my remote still will not wake up the Machine. I am able to wake it up with the keyboard but not the remote. I switched the IR USB receiver to the port that the keyboard was using and it still won't wake up the machine. The remote was working fine before the upgrade. Any suggestions?
What about adding 'usbcore.autosuspend=-1' to grub.

This use to work with Dharma live? There's instructions somewhere around for doing this then rebuilding grub.
Found my notes:
Code:
Edit the grub. file
path:
/etc/default/grub

and add
Code:

usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to line 10 (Third line from the bottom of the file)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

Example:

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noredir usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

after do:
Code:

sudo update-grub
Thanks for the info. I am fairly new to Linux. I went to the grub file and currently it is as follows:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Are you saying that I should change it to

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

vbat99 Wrote:Found my notes:
Code:
Edit the grub. file
path:
/etc/default/grub

and add
Code:

usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to line 10 (Third line from the bottom of the file)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.

Example:

Code:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,noredir usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

after do:
Code:

sudo update-grub
Yep, add to the line as your example. Rebuild grub and give it a try.

In my instance, when the computer went to sleep (suspend), there was no power to the USB ports, so the IR sensor was not able to receive the wakeup.

Added this to grub and now the IR sensor has power while in sleep (suspend). Can tell as the red LED in the corner of the remote flickers when any IR signal is sent.

I hope it helps.

There is other info regarding power policy's but I didn't need to go that road.

R
I tried editing the grub and updating the grub but the machine still won't wake up from remote like it did before the update. Am I doing something wrong? I use Winscp to log in to the machine. I edited the grub and then I hit the terminal button. From there I put the command in to update grub. Are those the correct steps?

vbat99 Wrote:Yep, add to the line as your example. Rebuild grub and give it a try.

In my instance, when the computer went to sleep (suspend), there was no power to the USB ports, so the IR sensor was not able to receive the wakeup.

Added this to grub and now the IR sensor has power while in sleep (suspend). Can tell as the red LED in the corner of the remote flickers when any IR signal is sent.

I hope it helps.

There is other info regarding power policy's but I didn't need to go that road.

R
Does the ir receiver light up when a a button is pressed and the machine is off?
Also what version of linux are you running xbmc on? Some things have changed remote wise since the last version of xbmc-live.
teeedubb Wrote:Does the ir receiver light up when a a button is pressed and the machine is off?
Also what version of linux are you running xbmc on? Some things have changed remote wise since the last version of xbmc-live.

Thanks,
I have been trying over a week now and still can't get the remote to wake the machine up. The IR red light is on when the machine is off, but it still won't wake the machine up. I was using stable camelot prior to the upgrade. Everything else works fine but I can't get this to work. The keyboard will wake up the machine but the remote won't. Once the machine is awake by the keyboard then the remote works fine. Any help would be great.