Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV2] Quickest way to quit xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I mainly use xbmc in file mode to connect to my nas, so when I have finished watching something, I have to go back up my folder structure to get back to the xbmc home, then navigate to the quit button at the bottom to exit back to frontrow then from there I can shutdown the atv.

Are there any shortcuts to do any of these:
Returning to xbmc home
Quiting xbmc altogether
Shutting down the atv

Thanks - and sorry if is obvious or if it's been covered before (I did look)
I think you can just press and hold the exit button to quit xbmc (or menu or whatever they call that button for the ATV2).
triplesilk Wrote:I think you can just press and hold the exit button to quit xbmc (or menu or whatever they call that button for the ATV2).

This only works on homescreen, so you have to go back to home first to use that "feature"
triplesilk Wrote:I think you can just press and hold the exit button to quit xbmc (or menu or whatever they call that button for the ATV2).

Thanks triplesilk - I did read that somewhere, but that doesn't seem to work when I'm in the file structure. It just brings up the context menu (ie delete etc). I'm on Eden beta 3 too.
Maetrik Wrote:This only works on homescreen, so you have to go back to home first to use that "feature"

Yep - not too much of a shortcut that one !
You could set a button on your remote to always quit xbmc, the only problem is finding one you don't need on the small ATV2 remote.
deanmv Wrote:You could set a button on your remote to always quit xbmc, the only problem is finding one you don't need on the small ATV2 remote.

But that would work with a Harmony remote etc? It would be useful to be able to quit xbmc from anywhere with one button if was possible.
I don't have a harmony remote myself but I am pretty sure you can edit all the buttons. Look through your remote files and this might be of some help: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard.xml
Btw. You know the atv2 doesn't really shut down right? When putting it to sleep all you do is turn of the led and the video output.. So power consumption is about the sameNerd
deanmv Wrote:I don't have a harmony remote myself but I am pretty sure you can edit all the buttons. Look through your remote files and this might be of some help: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard.xml

Thanks, I'll have a look later though I have a feeling that setting up my Harmony One with more options may be beyond me Smile
Eliah Wrote:Btw. You know the atv2 doesn't really shut down right? When putting it to sleep all you do is turn of the led and the video output.. So power consumption is about the sameNerd

I know that it never really sleeps, but I've got a destructive 10 month old who is drawn to the light on the front like a moth (I know I could use a bit of tape, but hey, I like technical solutions Smile )

deanmv Wrote:I don't have a harmony remote myself but I am pretty sure you can edit all the buttons. Look through your remote files and this might be of some help: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard.xml

Thanks for this. I do have a Harmony remote, so it looks like the xbmc.shutdown() and xbmc.activatewindow(home) commands are what I'm after.
(2012-02-12, 14:49)eff_cee Wrote: [ -> ]
Eliah Wrote:Btw. You know the atv2 doesn't really shut down right? When putting it to sleep all you do is turn of the led and the video output.. So power consumption is about the sameNerd

I know that it never really sleeps, but I've got a destructive 10 month old who is drawn to the light on the front like a moth (I know I could use a bit of tape, but hey, I like technical solutions Smile )

Thanks for this. I do have a Harmony remote, so it looks like the xbmc.shutdown() and xbmc.activatewindow(home) commands are what I'm after.

Were you able to add the exit XBMC function to use with your Harmony remote?