Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] Popping and cracking noise during videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Forum!

I have a question that has been on my mind for a long time. It did bother me since I first noticed it but thought the next version ob XBMC might solve the problem. Therefore I waited for more than half a year for the next version to come out... I tried it yesterday and the same problem could be heard.

Before I start here my setup:

OrigenAe M10 (incl. DVD-Rom and Power-Brick)
Zotac ION ITX-P-E --> HDMI sound used for TV connection
40 GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX low profile --> only used for 5.1 (raw or decoded) output to AV-Receiver

I hesitated that long because the problem is hard to describe and I think even harder to solve.

In some videos the sound does show decent popping an cracking but only "statistically distributed" and not for longer than for a part of a second. The length of the sound is comparable to that of tapping onto a microphone. The sound that comes out of the speakers if you do so is also quite comparable to what I am hearing.

A very short cracking or popping sound, for a part of a second. If I go back to the same scene in the video immediately it might occur again but it is not obligatory.

The frequency of this phenomenon occurring ranges from once in 15 minutes to each 10 to 20 seconds.

I tried various setups regarding the sound output via HDMI:
--> anlaog, digital, optical
--> 2.0, 2.1, 5.1
--> nvidia HDMI, hdmi iec598

BTW: Is there a tutorial where I can learn something about the sound settings and their options? I do not really understand all settings!

I am not a Pro on those things and do not even know whicht options I am changing in this "Systems-Settings-Sound Output" settings. I can only thell you that I did not find a setting where the sound was ok.

If I changed to the Asus sound card and listen to the video via AV-Receiver the problems are gone. And it does not matter if I take analog pre-decoded 5.1 sound via the Asus sound card to my receiver or optical raw-streams.

Is my main board and its hdmi controller the reason? Is it the software? Do you have any ideas? Is there anything I can test?

Any idea is welcome!

BR,

RonnyO.
I wanted to check if it was a hardware related reason for my problem and therefore changed the OS to Win Vista.

Since installing Windows my problems have gone. At the moment I will stay with Windwos, even though I really liked XBMC-Live.

BR,

RonnyO.