Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New Setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK I know I've posted all over the place and this community has been TERRIFIC.

Here is my thought on my HTPC setup:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856173024 connected to my TV with XBMC installed.

My current HTPC with 4x 2TB drives in RAID10 hosting media and installed in attic or basement with Linux for stability and constant uptime. Maybe connected to a battery backup.

Over my Gigabit Ethernet I should have no problem streaming my 1080p content to the ION box, right?

Does this plan sound about right?
If you're wondering about the hardware, it's best to post on the hardware forum. Lots of very knowledgable people in there.

Technically if everything is gigabit ethernet (cables, switches or routers) it should work. However some routers/switches/network cards work better than others, just because something says it is gigabit, doesn't mean you'll get gigabit speeds.
Ah ok thanks for the tip.
Sureguy Wrote:If you're wondering about the hardware, it's best to post on the hardware forum. Lots of very knowledgable people in there.

Technically if everything is gigabit ethernet (cables, switches or routers) it should work. However some routers/switches/network cards work better than others, just because something says it is gigabit, doesn't mean you'll get gigabit speeds.

Yeah, but it's not like streaming takes full gigabit, far from. Single stream is somewhere in the direction of up to 30Mbit/s. Pure throughput is no major deciding factor, but stability and low/no dropouts is. So, your point basically still stands if you exchange "gigabit speeds" for "high stable throughput".

And to Pat, Sureguy's advice to look at the hardware section is a very good one. Start with this thread, then have a look at the excellent stickies at the top of the thread list.

Except for the details and specific choice of HTPC, it sounds like you're on your way to a good setup and the Zotac is probably a good alternative. All I can add is that battery backup sounds like a bit of overkill, if the power goes you won't be able to access it anyhow and as far as I know it should only risk data corruption if a file is currently being written, in which case you will get file corruption anyhow, since the entire network will go down with the power. That in turn is no real problem, since you can just delete the unfinished file and do the transfer again once power is back.

Right, don't put the server in a too confined space, heat may build up in such case. It's not like you need a lot of ventilation, just make sure there's some.