Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: finding network drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all I've searched for a solution but nothing has worked. I have a 1tb drive connected to my router via usb on the side. I'm trying to connect to the files I have on in in xbmc. I can find my laptop fine on xbmc but I dont know how to find this drive. Image The drive I want is circled in that picture. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Try adding the address of the drive as a source.
So i put the ip it gives of the drive?what about when it asks for username and password? Also the shared folder is the name of the folder i want to browse inside the drive?
Is a username and password required to access that share?

You can leave the rest blank and select the specific share folder via the GUI
Ok so i typed in the ip and folder share name as share...left password/username blank and it accepted it and added it to list. when i click on it it has my subfolder of usbdisk which is what is there when i click into harddrive normally but when I click this through xbmc it says 'Error 2: share not available':confused2:
By the way I am supposed to do this with the smb protocol selectedHuh When googling I have came across samba...is this the same as smbHuh

I know it must be something simple stoping me accessing the folder and it is driving me mad.

My hdd is just a standard one (called hitachi). Does it need anything on it to le me see the files??
For the sake of this situation, SMB = Samba. Think of Samba as "generic SMB".

It sounds like you might not have the USB drive specifically shared in Windows. It's been a while since I've done this on Windows, but I think you can get info on the drive form Windows (right click) and find tab for sharing.
From what I've heard, those "NAS" solutions of router+USB drive can sometimes be somewhat sloppy pieces of code and functionality.

I don't know anywhere near enough to advice you really, but one hypothesis could be a router fimrware poor implementation of SMB protocol (or something in that direction).

I'm sure Ned will correct me if I'm totally rambling and on the other hand, I don't know how Windows got into the picture... Smile