Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can ass/ssa subtitles be displayed in black bar?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In full screen mode, there could be up or down black bars if movie aspect is not same to the monitor screen.

Srt subtitles could be displayed in the down black bar, only cover the movie content if there are higher than black bar.

I tried some ass/ssa subtitles for better style, but they seems could only be displayed in movie content, couldn't be put in down black bar.

I adjusted MarginV and PlayRexY values in ass subtitle file, which didn't work.

So I want to ask if there is ways to do that in xbmc?

Thanks.
Use XBMC v11 (Eden) beta. Settings -> Video -> Subtitles -> Override SSA/ASS subtitle fonts.
Ned Scott Wrote:Use XBMC v11 (Eden) beta. Settings -> Video -> Subtitles -> Override SSA/ASS subtitle fonts.

Thanks.

I tried, seems this option only override font, but not position.

I'm using lastest git version now.

Please see my picture. The line above is from ass subtitle, the line below it is from srt subtitle. I want to display the ass subtitle as low as srt one.

Use the video calibration for changing the position of the subtitles ...
Memphiz Wrote:Use the video calibration for changing the position of the subtitles ...

I have done the video calibration, and I found it only affected srt subtitles.

I also decreased PlayRexY argment to zero in ass file, changed video render type, no help yet.
huh. In that case I guess you'd have to make a feature request for overriding sub position on SSA/ASS. I thought the one setting would just make it be treated like an SRT subtitle, but I guess not.

One thing you can do is extract the subtitle file, convert it to SRT, then re-embed it. You can even do it so that you keep both the SSA/ASS and SRT tracks and switch between them.
Ned Scott Wrote:huh. In that case I guess you'd have to make a feature request for overriding sub position on SSA/ASS. I thought the one setting would just make it be treated like an SRT subtitle, but I guess not.

One thing you can do is extract the subtitle file, convert it to SRT, then re-embed it. You can even do it so that you keep both the SSA/ASS and SRT tracks and switch between them.

OK, I'll make a feature request then.

In fact, the ass subtitles I tested with, were converted from srt subtitles, because I think ass subtitles are prettier and libass render them faster. Srt subtitles cause stutters on my HTPC and iPad.

Anyway, thanks. Hope this will be solved later.